John Molson School of Business Sustainability Case Competition
Do you want to help solve a pressing corporate sustainability challenge?
We are looking for hard-working teams ready to become a part of Concordia’s inaugural Sustainability Challenge. With the total value of the prize coming to $6,000. Apply now!
The John Molson School of Business Sustainability Case Competition is coming back for its second edition. The competition will primarily focus on the intersection of business and sustainability and is open to undergraduate and graduate students with an interest in sustainability. It is designed to promote interaction between business schools and raise awareness about the benefits of integrating sustainability into a company’s strategy and decision-making process. The JSCC case competition allows students to experience a real-world experience and get feedback from a panel of the sharpest minds. The total value of the prize comes to $6,000.
Date: Friday, March 31, 2023
Location: John Molson School of Business, Montreal QC, Canada
- Registration for this challenge is now open and will close on February 3, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. (EST).
- On February 4, 2023 you will be sent a qualifying case, which will be due at 11:59 p.m. (EST) the same day.
- Successful teams will be notified on the week of February 13, 2023
- Giving students the opportunity to solve real-world problems that corporations are facing
- Support Concordia’s Sustainability plans
- Build bridges across different universities interested in institutionalizing sustainability
- Helping students build a vast network with like-minded individuals
Eligibility & value
Must be a current undergraduate or master's student at any Canadian University
- 1st place prize $3,000
- 2nd place prize $2,000
- 3rd place prize $1,000
Students will be scored based on the quality of their presentations and recommendations, whether their solutions help address Sustainable Development Goals, and whether their solutions take a systems approach (environmental, social, and economic).
How to apply
- Create a team: The Sustainability Challenge is open to teams of 3 to 5 members, ideally from different disciplines or faculties. We encourage your team to bring together individuals from diverse backgrounds or areas of study. To be an eligible team member, you must be a current University undergraduate or graduate student, full or part-time in the 2022–2023 school year.
- Apply: Teams will be asked to complete an application including basic information about each member with resumes and cover letters, and submit the application by February 3, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. (EST).
- Submit qualifying case: Teams will be sent a qualifying case, on February 4, 2023 at 9 a.m. (EST) and it must be submitted at 11:59 p.m. (EST).
- Selection of proposals: Our advisory committee will select eight teams, which will be announced on the week of February 13, 2023.
- Deposit: Teams will be asked to send a $200 deposit if they are chosen to compete, that will be returned once they complete the case competition.*
*This competition will take place in person at the John Molson School of Business and will follow all public health guidelines provided by the government. There will be an online option, but participants are encouraged to come in person to have the best experience and be able to grow their network.
Complete the online application including basic information about your team and submit by February 3, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. (EST).
|N||Action||Deadline/key date (EST)|
|1||Application due||February 3, 2023, 6:00 p.m.|
|2||Qualifying case sent||February 4, 2023, 9:00 a.m.|
|3||Qualifying case due||February 4, 2023, 11:59 p.m|
|4||Selection of proposals||February 13, 2023, 9:00 a.m.|
|5||Deposit due||February 20, 2023, 11:59 p.m.|
|6||Case competition starts||March 31, 2023, 9:00 a.m.|
Case competition structure
|Breakfast||9 – 9:45 a.m.|
|Case cracking||10 a.m. – 1 p.m.|
|Lunch break||1 – 1:45 p.m.|
|Presentations||2 – 4 p.m.|
|Break||4 – 5 p.m.|
|Winner announcements & networking cocktail||5 – 7 p.m.|
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.