Integrating a Propeller CFD Optimization into a Drone Preliminary Design Optimization Framework
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MONDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2022
This internship is open to graduate and undergraduate students. The objectives will be adjusted according to the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Graduate Students – ENGR 7961 Industrial Stage and Training (6 credits)
Prerequisite: Students must have completed at least 12 credits in the composite option and at least 21 credits in the aerospace program. If prerequisites are not satisfied, permission of the program director is required.
Undergraduate Students – ENGR 412 Honours Research Project (3 credits)
Prerequisite: ENCS 282; minimum 75 credits in the BEng program with a CGPA of 3.00 or better; permission of the Department.
The design of vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) vehicles is highly multidisciplinary and requires a multidisciplinary design optimization (MDO) approach. The aerodynamics of the propellers is the primary performance factor and requires advanced consideration early in the design process. CFD simulation enables accurate aerodynamics evaluation, but the computational time of a CFD simulation is not compatible with the generally very high number of iterations of an MDO. This internship aims to integrate a propeller CFD model developed with Ansys-CFX into a VTOL MDO framework coded in Python. The resulting software tool will be validated with VTOL unmanned aerial vehicle case studies and, if time permits, with wind tunnel testing.
The main steps of the project are:
1. Familiarization with previous works (CFD model, MDO framework, and report)
2. Implementation of CFD optimization into MDO framework
3. Validation with case studies
4. Verification with wind tunnel testing
5. Technical report
Qualifications & Skills
• Background knowledge and experience in CFD simulation (Ansys, Ansys-CFX).
• Background knowledge in optimization. Experience in MDO is a plus.
• Experience in Python language coding.
• Interest in drone technology.
• Good presentation and writing skills.
How to apply
Qualified and highly motivated candidates are invited to send their application per email to email@example.com using the subject "Internship – CFD & MDO" with the following elements:
• Brief email with your motivation and relevant experience
• Complete and up-to-date CV
• Up-to-date transcript
• a writing sample (extract of publication or report written by the candidate)