Control Optimization With Physics-Based Reliability Models
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MONDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2022
This internship is open to graduate and undergraduate students. The objectives will be adjusted according to the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Graduate Students – ENGR 7961 Industrial Stage and Training (6 credits)
Prerequisite: Students must have completed at least 12 credits in the composite option and at least 21 credits in the aerospace program. If prerequisites are not satisfied, permission of the program director is required.
Undergraduate Students – ENGR 412 Honours Research Project (3 credits)
Prerequisite: ENCS 282; minimum 75 credits in the BEng program with a CGPA of 3.00 or better; permission of the Department.
Reliability is key in aeronautics. It is, therefore, essential to address this aspect in the design process. This project focuses on optimizing the flight control of multirotor drones as a function of reliability. Previous works have demonstrated the feasibility of combining weighted control allocation with physics-based reliability models to optimize operational reliability. This internship aims to develop the reliability models further and investigate the proposed approach's limitations. The simulation results will be validated with VTOL unmanned aerial vehicle case studies and, if time permits, with quick prototyping and testing.
The main steps of the project are:
1. Familiarization with previous works
2. Develop new physics-based reliability models for power train components
3. Extend reliability modeling and control allocation to multiple components
4. Investigate the relationship between redundancies and the effectiveness of the proposed approach.
5. Validate the models with case study simulations
6. Verify the simulation results with quick prototyping and testing
7. Technical report
Qualifications & Skills
• Good knowledge and experience in modern control engineering.
• Background knowledge in reliability engineering is a plus.
• Experience with Matlab-Simulink.
• Interest in drone technology.
• Good presentation and writing skills.
How to apply
Qualified and highly motivated candidates are invited to send their application per email to email@example.com using the subject "Internship – Control Optimization for Reliability" with the following elements:
• Brief email with your motivation and relevant experience
• Complete and up-to-date CV
• Up-to-date transcript
• a writing sample (extract of publication or report written by the candidate)