Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions, new BA Economics

This FAQ is designed for use by students who have already completed their Touchstone advising. Please refer to the Getting started: BA Economics page for more information.

1. Where can I find my student ID number?
  You can find your student ID number on the top right corner of your offer of admission or go to your My CU Account in the Student Hub. You must provide your full name and student ID every time you communicate with the university.
When can I get my Student ID card?
  24 hours after having registered for classes, please visit Card Services to request your Student ID card. Bring your student ID number and a piece of government-issued photo identification.
3. Where can I get proof of enrolment to get a public transit OPUS card?
  For proof of enrolment, you can request an attestation letter online or in person from the Birks Student Services Centre. You can also request a student OPUS card by logging in to the Student Hub and going to My CU Account.
4. Do Concordia students have an e-mail account?
  To obtain your Concordia e-mail account log into the Student Hub with your netname and go to My CU Account > Personal information & accounts > Activate Office 365 e-mail. The e-mail account will be ready by the beginning of the next business day.
5. I have attended the new student advising session, when can I register for classes?
  Firstly, please ensure that you have accepted your offer and paid the $100.00 confirmation deposit. Secondly, that you attended both parts (Faculty of Arts and Science (FAS) and Economics) of the FAS-Touchstone advising session. If you have met these conditions and still have the advisor hold on your account, please contact the Undergraduate Program Assistant.
6. I need to retake a course at CEGEP. Can I take the course at Concordia University, or should I defer my admission?
  Please inform your Admissions Officer. This person’s name and contact information can be found on the second page of your Offer of Admission.
7. How do I register for courses?
  Please consult the following guide to help you register for classes. The Welcome Crew can also help you with questions about using the course registration system – SIS and other new student questions.
8. Do I need to take Math as part of the Economics program?
  Yes. Economics students need Math 201 or Math 206 – Algebra and Functions and Math 203 or Math 209 – Calculus I, to advance in the program. Please refer to our recommended course selection for first-year students for more information.
9. I have an exemption for Soci 212, do I still need to take Econ 221 – Statistics I?
  Economics students are required to take Econ 221 – Statistics I. Notwithstanding an exemption for Soci 212 we strongly recommend that students take Econ 221 to satisfy the program requirements. Students with exemptions for both Soci 212 and Soci 213 may not take Econ 221 for credit.
10. Who is my academic advisor?
  Students in Economics programs are not assigned a personal academic advisor. Undergraduate students are asked to write to for advising. See the advising calendar here.
11. I am interested in the Co-operative program in Economics, what should I do?
  Please contact Émilie Martel, Program Coordinator for Internships and Experiential Learning, Economics. You may also visit the Economics Co-op program page and the Institute for Co-operative Education page for more information.
12. Why should I take the 'honours' or 'specialization' program rather than the Major?
  These programs provide the student with a more rigorous training in Economics. Consequently, students must take more advanced-level courses, specifically at the 400- level. The honours program in addition requires students to take core theory and econometrics courses. The honours program at Concordia is an outstanding preparation for those students wishing to do graduate work in Economics or Business.
13. Can I add a double major or a minor?
  You may contact your Admissions Officer regarding this possibility if you did not make that request upon application to the university. Otherwise, you will need to complete 24 credits at Concordia University before you can add an additional major and/or minor. See here for more information on change of concentration and degree transfers.
14. Do I have to take Economics classes during my first semester?
  No. However, choosing to take the introductory courses in your second term may delay your studies.
15. I would like to transfer to JMSB, should I take Economics courses?
  For questions related to transferring to the John Molson School of Business (JMSB), courses offered, and to obtain permission to take a course, please contact them directly at You may also find this handout helpful.
16. I have an ESL condition on my offer of admission, what should I do?
  Please refer to your offer of admission for more information. You may also contact the ESL Program Assistant at or go to this page for more information about the ESL placement tests.
Back to top

© Concordia University