FIBRES & MATERIAL PRACTICES
What you'll find
The structures studio includes:
- hand & drum carders
- drop spindles & spinning wheels
- felting tools & needle felting machine
- rope-making tools
- tufting gun & frames
- 4, 8 & 12 harness floor looms and related tools
- 4 & 8 harness table looms
- 24 harness AVL Dobby loom with Compu-Dobby
- manual and double-bed electronic knitting machine
- digital embroidery machine
- quilting machine
- domestic & industrial sewing machines
- domestic & industrial sergers
The printing and dyeing studio includes:
- two 8-meter printing tables with registration rail system
- large light table
- bullet steamer
- heat transfer machine
- screenprinting facilities with multiple wash-out sinks for pigments and screen reclaiming
- over 50 silkscreens of various sizes
- accessible screenprinting darkroom with coating, drying & exposing equipment
- a ventilated and well-stocked dye lab equipped with natural gas burners
- a ventilated wax room for batik, devore & surface applications
- pH neutral water purification system for dyeing
- washer, dryer and two fabric spinners
- domestic and industrial sewing machines
The paper-making studio includes:
- Two 2lb capacity Hollander beaters
- One hydropulper
- A large vacuum table for forming sheets up to 36" x 60"
- A hydraulic press
- Floor drains
- Moulds and vats for forming sheets up to 22” x 30”
- Two sheet dryers
The Fibres computer lab
Equipped with Macs and a PC running specialized software for textile design, a scanner, three printers including an Epson Stylus Pro 4880 dedicated to dye sublimation.
Fibres and Material Practices students also have access to several industrial and electronic sewing machines including a machine for digital embroidery.
Dressing the loom.
Winding a warp
Sewing on the industrial machine.
Fibres structures studio.
Fibres computer lab.
Setting up for a critique.
Papermaking: Sheet forming and pulp beating.
Papermaking critique. Photo by Anne-Renée Hotte.
Print fabric samples.
Image design on the light table.
Repeat printing. Photo by Anne-Renée Hotte.
Fibres dye lab sash hood.
Fibres dye lab.
Elaine Denis, Technician
514-848-2424 ext. 4625