AI2 Funding Programs
The Applied AI Institute invites applications to two strategic funding programs meant to advance its strategic objectives and accelerate interdisciplinary research on AI at Concordia University. We invite expressions of interest for the following funding streams:
- Matching Funding for AI-related grant applications (approximately $35k available) committed as support for pending, new, or on-going grant applications.
Seed Projects (approximately $25k available) meant to accelerate research into the assessment, development, and auditing of AI systems including, but not limited to, identifying and auditing high-risk AI systems. Potential research projects may include:
- designing novel methods of algorithmic assessment
- developing safe, ethical and trustable AI systems
- innovative means to explain AI systems to better public knowledge and accountability.
Applications will be accepted until Dec. 16th, 2022 and approved on a rolling basis.
Expressions of intent must include:
- A one-page statement about the proposed research or grant application that includes:
a. A summary of the research program for a non-specialist audience
b. A statement on how your team composition and program of research advances AI2’s strategic directions, with particular emphasis on how you address equity, justice, and structural barriers to participation
c. Evidence of past research success and capacity to undertake current research; and,
d. Possibilities for future collaborations and, in the case of the Auditing AI seed project, potential for future collaborations or grant applications.
- In the case of funding matching, a description of the granting program and when you expect to be notified of your results
- A list of collaborations with their academic affiliations
- A one-page preliminary budget statement.
- An up-to-date CV of the Principal Investigator and key collaborators
Applications will be ranked based by the Operating Committee using the following criteria:
|30||Interdisciplinarity and diversity of team||Describe how your team advances inclusion and interdisciplinary collaboration, preferably inviting members from at least two faculties (e.g. Arts and Science, Management, Engineering).|
|20||Potential for new collaboration / new grants||Identify potential opportunities and next steps for research grant applications and/or new academic partnerships.|
|20||Feasibility||Highlight past research accomplishments and capacity to undertake the proposed program of research|
|30||Fit with AI2 strategic directions||Describe how the research program meaningfully responds to public interest, demonstrating a commitment to principles of equity and justice. Additionally, explain how you have addressed barriers that could prevent participation from underrepresented groups.|
Applied AI Institute Strategic Directions:
- Engaged leadership caring for AI’s community and consequences;
- Distributed research that considers collaboration, mutual aid, and academic freedom as key drivers of success;
- Equity and justice acknowledging that bias is structural as well as statistical;
- Inter-disciplinarity in theory and practice, knowing that data is social and technical;
- Public interest to ensure AI improves, not entrenches, the status quo