Concordia holds steady in new rankings
In an unusual year, Concordia maintained its position in the comprehensive category in the recently released Maclean’s University Rankings 2021 and overall in the 2020 edition of the Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities, also known as the NTU Ranking.
For the sixth time in a row, Concordia placed 10th among 15 comprehensive institutions across Canada in the Maclean’s annual rankings.
Maclean’s once again slotted the university second in its category for average size and number of Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) grants and number four for library expenses, which measures the percentage of a university’s budget devoted to maintaining library services.
Concordia’s positions remained unchanged in nine of 13 indicators from Maclean’s. These include:
- SSHRC Grants: 2nd — $13,129 per full-time faculty, 29.23 grants per 100 full-time faculty
- Library Expenses: 4th — percentage of budget for maintaining library services, 4.5%
- Reputational Survey: 6th
- Scholarships and Bursaries: 9th — percentage of total operating expenditures for scholarships and bursaries, 7.5%
In the Maclean’s Student Satisfaction Survey, Concordia remained 11th among 15 comprehensive universities overall. In the survey’s 10 categories, the university improved from last year in six areas, including:
- Steps to Prevent Sexual Assault: 3rd, up from 10th
- Extracurricular Activities: 6th, up from 10th
- Student Life Staff: 6th, up from 8th
In the publication’s National Reputation Survey, Concordia stayed in sixth place among the 15 comprehensive universities and 17th nationally for Best Overall among 49 universities.
Maclean’s also listed 12 breakout categories that are not part of its rankings’ calculations. Concordia’s placement in these breakout categories, which cover all Canadian universities, included second spot for percentage of graduate students from outside Canada:
- Leaders of tomorrow: 14th, up from 18th out of 49
- Highest Quality: 17th, up from 18th out of 49
- Most Innovative: 16th, up from 17th out of 49
- International (graduate): 2nd, out of 30
As well, Maclean’s named six Concordia programs among the top 20 across Canada, the same as last year, including:
- Business: 12th, up from 13
- Psychology: 11th, up from 17
Improvement in NTU subject ranking
The NTU Ranking placed Concordia in the 701-750 category among universities worldwide for the fourth straight year.
NTU also provides six field-based and 24 subject-based rankings. Concordia placed in two fields, as in 2019:
- Engineering: 264th, up from 280th
- Social Sciences: 301st-350th, unchanged
In the subject-based rankings, Concordia was among the top 10 universities in Canada in six subjects, one more than in 2019, and ranked in nine in total globally, the same as last year. These included:
- Chemical Engineering: 271st, up from 301st-350th
- Economics & Business: 147th, up from 208th
- Mechanical Engineering: 178th, up from 206th
For the full listings, see the Maclean’s University Rankings 2021 and Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities.