BASIC EDITING PRACTICES
Course Code: CEJN 110Nothing ruins a good idea like bad editing. Run-ons, wordiness, redundancies, poor grammar, mixed metaphors... there are pitfalls everywhere. Thankfully, you can learn how to avoid them. And this is the place to start. In this course, you'll get ample training and practice in editing techniques that are useful for print and online journalists, technical writers and bloggers. You'll focus on grammar, style, fact-checking and ethics. You'll also try your hand at visual editing and layout. By the end of the course, you'll have the ability to write properly with confidence... and edit just in case.
Your take-awayThis course is a great way to help you:
• Master the techniques of editing copy for media, trade journals, in-house publications and websites;
• Appreciate the steps involved in publishing a document;
• Focus on content, grammar, word economy, structure, style, judgment and page layout.
Our approachThis is an editing class, so you'll be doing a lot of it. There will also be workshops, exercises, group discussions and presentations. Enthusiastic participation and effort are the keys to enjoyment and success in this course. This course is designed for the students to meet regularly during live synchronous learning in an online virtual classroom (Zoom).
Who benefits the most?• Anyone who wants to improve their writing skills.
• Anyone considering a career as an editor in print or online.
• Writers who want to hone their skills.
• Anyone who wants to learn more about publishing a document.
• Entrepreneurs who manage their own communications.
• Foreign students who want to improve their written English.
Concordia CCE Loyalty Discount
All students who meet at least one of the following conditions, will receive a 10% discount on their CCE course or workshop tuition fees:
1) Have completed a CCE, Undergraduate or Graduate course at Concordia University in a prior academic term;
2) Have completed a language proficiency test (IELTS) at CCE;
3) Have completed a CCE Professional Development Seminar/Workshop.
This discount is based on the information maintained in the Concordia University student information system.
NOTE: This discount does not apply to a language proficiency test enrollment (IELTS) nor to application fees for admission to a CCE program of study.
© Concordia University