INTRO TO BIG DATA BUSINESS CASES
Course Code: CEBD 1150You're interested in Big Data software systems and technology, clearly, or you wouldn't be reading this. But if you're more interested in harnessing those tools to achieve specific business objectives, this course is for you. It will start with an overview of the most and least successful big data projects in all industries, helping you understand the dos and don’ts that make a data science project successful. You'll also have the chance to imagine and design your own project. In the second part of the course, you'll learn how to identify, collect, and transform data from internal and external sources. So, are you in?
Knowledge of Excel and SQL are crucial for you to be successful in this course. If you do not have knowledge in these areas, we strongly recommend that you take Intro to Data Analysis with Excel (CEBD 1300) and Intro to SQL (CEWP 215).
Note that you will be required to do 5-10 hours of work per week outside of class time. Those with little to no prior knowledge will require more time to gain familiarity with the concepts.
Your take-awayThis course is a great way to help you:
• Understand the business issues solved by Big Data;
• Build a data pipeline to help you feed your Big Data project;
• Understand the Dos and Don'ts that make a data science project successful;
• Imagine and design your own data science project;
• Work on structured and unstructured data from social networks using an ETL tool.
Our approachThis course employs student-centered learning that's focused on the acquisition of practical, real-world skills and not just theory. You'll get close, personalized instruction from an industry pro. This course is designed for the students to meet regularly during live synchronous learning in an online virtual classroom (Zoom).
Who benefits the most?• Anyone who wants to learn the fundamentals of Big Data.
• Students who want to work in Big Data / Data Science for a large- or medium-sized company.
• Students who want to create their own startup in Data Science / Big Data.
• Employees in the business-intelligence field who want to upgrade their skills or broaden their horizons.
• Employees or students who want to become Data Scientists.
Martin Berezaga, MBA, Commercial Management
Director at Southpad
Big Data Instructor at Concordia Continuing Education
Concordia CCE Loyalty Discount
All students who meet at least one of the following conditions, will receive a 10% discount on their CCE course or workshop tuition fees:
1) Have completed a CCE, Undergraduate or Graduate course at Concordia University in a prior academic term;
2) Have completed a language proficiency test (IELTS) at CCE;
3) Have completed a CCE Professional Development Seminar/Workshop.
This discount is based on the information maintained in the Concordia University student information system.
NOTE: This discount does not apply to a language proficiency test enrollment (IELTS) nor to application fees for admission to a CCE program of study.
© Concordia University