To be eligible for graduation, undergraduate students must demonstrate a working knowledge of French. We define “working knowledge” as the ability to cover a press conference and conduct an interview entirely in French. This requirement can be met in one of five ways:
- Students who attended and graduated from a French-language high school are exempt.
- Students who attended and graduated from a French-language CEGEP are exempt.
- Students who pay International Student fees up to the time of graduation are exempt.
- Students who do not fulfill options 1-3 above, but already have a good grasp of French can meet this requirement by attending an evaluation with the French department. Dates and booking instructions are sent out by the Undergraduate Program Assistant every semester.
- Students who do not have a working knowledge of French, or who do not pass the evaluation must complete FRAN 305 and any necessary pre-requisites. Pre-requisites for FRAN 305 are determined via the French department’s placement test. Students must complete the placement test before registering in any FRAN courses.
2022-23 French Evaluation dates
- Wednesday, October 5 at noon
- Wednesday November 9 at noon
- Wednesday, Feb 8 at 12:30 p.m.
All evaluations will take place in-person at LB 619 (SGW campus).
Students who choose to do the evaluation must do it in their first year. The evaluation can only be done once. Students’ responsibilities include:
- Booking an appointment
- Arriving on time
- Providing notice if they cannot attend the evaluation
- Showing their student ID cards or official photo ID’s.
To book an appointment for the French evaluation please email Undergraduate.Journalism@concordia.ca
Include your preferred date, full name, and student ID number.