Privacy & research
The University uses and shares Personal Information only for the purposes for which it was collected. Any other use requires the consent of the individual, except in certain situations. One of the exceptions provided for in the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information, chapter A-2.1 (the “Act”) stipulates that researchers may request and obtain Personal Information held by the University for research purposes.
Guidelines for exceptions
The Act provides that public bodies may disclose Personal Information to researchers, without consent of the individuals concerned, for study, research or statistical purposes, provided that certain steps are taken. Note that Concordia has complete discretion regarding the decision to disclose Personal Information for study, research or statistical purposes, regardless of the request made by the researcher or the PIA performed by the University.
- When a researcher (internal or external) makes a formal written request to access Personal Information, the University will consider, among other criteria, whether or not the purpose of the study or research can be achieved if the information is provided in a form that identifies the individuals concerned and whether or not it would be unreasonable to obtain the concerned individuals’ consent.
- If the University decides to consider the request, a Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) is performed.
- If the conclusion of the PIA is that Personal Information can be released to the researcher, an agreement must be concluded between the researcher and the University.
- Once the agreement has been concluded, it is provided to the Commission d’accès à l’information du Québec.
- For more information, one may consult the Communication de renseignements personnels sans consentement à des fins de recherche page provided by the Commission d’accès à l’information du Québec.
- To submit a request to Concordia for the release of Personal Information for study, research or statistical purposes, please contact the Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.