Acquire ethics approval
Learn about the requirements for ethics compliance for research involving human subjects or animals. This section will also provide you with links to helpful guides, forms, tools and policies.
Latest updates as of October 13, 2021
Summary Protocol Form (SPF)
Note that a new version of the SPF is now available for download. Please be reminded that you are required to use the latest version of the SPF when submitting a new protocol, a 5-year resubmission or an amendment request.
Secondary Use of Data Form (SUDF)
Please note that a new form, for Secondary Use of Data requests, is now available.
Request to resume in-person research activities and the requirement for ethics approval
Please be reminded that while it is no longer required to submit a Request to Resume In-Person Research Activities to the Central Committee, unless your protocol involves a First Nations, Inuit or Metis peoples of Canada (Chapter 9 of TCPS-2) population, the requirement to obtain ethics approval for all research involving human participants and/or human derived data still stands.
Informed consent documentation
Please note that we have implemented important changes to the process for Participant Consent Documentation.
The role of the Research Ethics Unit (Office of Research) is to:
- Ensure the compliance and ethical integrity of all research done under the auspice of Concordia.
- Ensure that all research is conducted in accordance with applicable regulations including international, federal and provincial law, as well as granting agency and Concordia policies.
Forms for research involving human participants
- Summary Protocol Form (SPF - updated October 2021)
Please note that this revised form will be mandatory for all submissions starting November 1, 2021.
- Information and Consent Form Template
- Biomedical Information and Consent Form Template
- Sample Consent Form Template French
- Instructions for Writing A Consent Form
- Human Ethics Submission Checklist
- Annual Report Form
- Secondary Use of Data Form (SUDF)
- Scholarly Review Form
- Abbreviated Summary Protocol Form for Pedagogical Purposes Only - Minimal Risk Student-Course-Related Research for Departmental Review. This DOES NOT include thesis research.
Forms for research involving animals
- Animal Use Summary Protocol Form
- Appendix 1a - Specific Experiments
- Appendix 1b - Specific Teaching Activities
- Appendix 2 - Genetically Modified Animals
- AREC-F2 - Animal Use Protocol Renewal Request
- Policy for the Ethical Review of Research Involving Human Participants
- Procedures for the Ethical Review of Research Involving Human Participants
- Policy on the Ethical Use of Animals in Research and Teaching
- Procedures for the Ethical Use of Animals in Research and Teaching
- Procédure sur l’utilisation éthique des animaux en recherche et en enseignement