Office 365 - faculty & staff
Concordia faculty and staff have been granted a license for the Office 365 online platform offered by Microsoft. This online platform offers access to the standard suite of office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), file storage (One Drive), Intranet (SharePoint), collaboration tools (MS Teams) and more.
Faculty and staff can access the full list of apps available to them by logging in to their Microsoft online portal. The subscription also allows employees to install the Office desktop apps on up to five PCs or Macs per user. For Concordia employees who are also students, the desktop apps will be available by logging in with your student O365 account.
Concordia is presently migrating employee on-premise Exchange mailboxes to Exchange in the cloud (O365) for Faculty and Staff. Click here to learn more about the project.
Who can use it?
Active faculty and staff.
How much does it cost?
There is no cost associated with this service.
There are currently two ways to log into the Microsoft online portal depending on whether or not your email has been migrated to the cloud (see FAQ below). To learn more about our email migration initiative, please consult the Office 365 FAQ.
To access the Office 365 apps, visit the Microsoft O365 portal and enter your netname followed by @staff.concordia.ca (ex: firstname.lastname@example.org) in the username field. You will then be automatically redirected to a Concordia page where you will be prompted for your Concordia password.
To access the Office 365 apps, visit the Microsoft O365 portal and enter your Concordia email address (ex: email@example.com) in the username field. You will then be automatically redirected to a Concordia page where you will be prompted for your Concordia password.
For more information and training on the Office 365 apps software package, consult the Microsoft 365 Training Portal.
- New to the Office 365 environment? Looking for tips and tricks or maybe to solve a problem? Click here to join the new to Teams/Office 365 Ask Us Team. The team is comprised of keen Concordia employees actively working together to share knowledge and problem solve with Office 365!
- Concordia provides IT training to faculty, staff and students through instructor-led workshops, online materials, demos and individual lessons. Consult the training opportunities provided by IITS.
Looking to share files securely with users outside of our organization?
When evaluating cloud service platforms for potential use by the Concordia community, IITS performs Privacy Impact Assessments (PIA). Click here to learn more about Concordia’s PIA process and privacy controls. While Office 365 has many security features additional precautions are always recommended when storing data as detailed in some of the points below.
Microsoft employs security measures that meets standards set by the security community, however we recommend that additional security measures are taken when sensitive or confidential data is stored. These can include password protecting documents, using multi-factor authorization to protect your account, or encrypting files. While not always needed, these measures and general cyber security awareness help in protecting the privacy of your data.
As with any cloud service, there are important considerations to keep in mind when using Office 365 apps for document storage. The information below also applies to any other tool that you may use collaboratively for your work at Concordia.
- Keep document titles short and meaningful. See the Document Naming Guideline for more information.
- Organize records according to the Records Classification and Retention Plan.
- Protect personal information in accordance with Policy SG-9
- Password protect files with personal or confidential data. When possible remove or obfuscate personal or sensitive data from all files.
- Ensure that access is granted only to individuals that require access for all documents across Teams and Office 365.
- Request a consultation from IITS by contacting the IT Service Desk if there is any doubt or you require assistance with securing data.
- Store unprotected documents that contain personal data or information that can identify a person. For example, always password protect SIN numbers, home addresses, Quebec permanent codes, etc. This applies to your data and that of others.
- Store unprotected documents that contain confidential information without password protecting it.
- Use online apps for long-term archiving of files. They are only intended for active documents, not for long-term storage.
- Store confidential documents on your personal computer, or a USB drive.
If you’re new to the Office 365 environment, click here to join the new to Teams/Office 365 Ask Us Team. The team is comprised of keen Concordia employees actively working together to share knowledge and problem solve with Office 365!
If you’re having issues with a desktop application, access, or authentication, contact the IT Service Desk.
All faculty and staff have access to the same set of Office 365 apps which includes online versions of the office suite and a set of additional apps used for collaborating and file sharing. To get a complete and up to date list of the apps available, please log into the Microsoft online portal.
Microsoft offers a number of mobile versions of their Office 365 apps without additional cost or licensing. For a complete list of mobile apps, we encourage faculty and staff to visit Microsoft Corporation’s Google Play Store or Apple Store pages according to their device manufacturer.
Please note that you will need to log into the apps with your Microsoft portal account credentials.
Faculty and staff have access to the online version of the Office 365 apps and have the option of downloading and installing the apps on up to 5 PCs or Mac. Please follow the installation guide for Apple MacOS or Windows.
For Concordia employees who are also students, the desktop apps will be available by logging in with your student O365 account.
Microsoft (MS) Teams is a collaboration app that integrates a number of tools from Microsoft. MS Teams can be used for video meetings, workplace chats, file collaboration, project coordination and video streaming. Faculty and staff can create their own Teams and invite colleagues to join them to collaborate with them.
IITS is also offering Concordia specific training sessions, many of which can take place virtually via Zoom and Teams itself. Please consult the availability and registration page or inquire about scheduling a specific session for your group by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make sure all users editing the document are using the same version of Office. There may be minor problems between users collaborating and using different versions of desktop Office suites (such as Office 2016 and Office 365 ProPlus). Some features may not exist in an older version of Office or may be implemented in a new way. If the same desktop version cannot be used and problems occur, we recommend using Office Online (web version) available in Office 365.
MyAnalytics presents you with insights and how you can use these insights to improve your work patterns. To access the dashboard, go to myanalytics.microsoft.com to open your personal MyAnalytics.
We encourage faculty and staff to learn more about using MyAnalytics through this FAQ guide or by watching this Microsoft video showing common benefits of using MyAnalytics.