Help for new researchers upon arrival
1. Meet with your supervisor
He/She will introduce you to key resources in the Department and will communicate important information to you.
Carefully read your contract, which by reference, includes all University Policies and your labour agreement, if applicable.
*It is important to take the time to review these policies and agreement - many of them are applicable across the Concordia community and may affect your department or unit. Your labour agreement will also have important information about your entitlements while working at Concordia, and you can access it on Carrefour (see below on how to access Carrefour).
2. Go to HR to obtain your employee ID card
To obtain this card, you must bring the following documents with you:
- A void cheque
- Your letter of appointment from the Dean's Office, the School of Graduate Studies or Concordia International, if applicable.
- Your social insurance number. If you don't have one yet, you need to obtain it before you start work and before we can start paying you. To obtain one, please go here, near Place des Arts metro station.
- If you are not Canadian, please also bring a copy of your passport or permanent resident card and your work permit (if applicable).
This employee card will contain your employee ID number.
3. Meet with the Department Administrator
Now that you are set up from a University perspective, the Department Administrator will help set you up from the Faculty of ENCS's perspective. Please meet with her at EV006.143 to fill in this form. More precisely, this will allow you to obtain:
- Your ENCS account (storage, local @encs.concordia.ca email account, software access, etc.)
- An office, if applicable
- Card access, if applicable
4. Update your personal information
Navigate to Carrefour and click "Activate your account" to set up your access to our employee portal, which will also serve as your username/password for Wi-fi, your @concordia.ca email address, UNITY and Carrefour (see below as well).
- On the login page, you will see the option to click on "Activate your account." Click on it and select "Employee Account". Make sure you have your date of birth (DOB), the residential postal code you gave at HR and employee ID number handy because you will need them to create your account.
- Make sure your address is correct by going to My HR, selecting Personal Information and scrolling down to Contact & Addresses.
- Input your emergency contact information by going to My HR, selecting Personal Information and scrolling down to Emergency Contacts.
- The link to My HR can also be found on Carrefour's My CU Account page.
5. Explore our employee intranet (Carrefour)
News, events, forms, services, benefits, etc. can be found on this site.
*Concordia University provides eligible faculty and staff with a comprehensive group insurance benefits program. The program includes life insurance, disability, dental, health, and more. Concordia employees also have a pension plan. Not all staff or faculty will have the same entitlements, so it’s important that you contact HR to learn about your entitlements and how to enrol. For questions about benefits, submit an HR Service Request Form.
6. Attend the new-staff orientation session
Once you’re hired, there’s a lot to learn. HR organizes a one-day orientation for new, non-academic staff with contracts of one year or more. For more information, contact them directly at (514) 848-2424, ext. 3666.
An orientation for new faculty takes place in the summer and is organized by the Office of the Provost.