Stingers welcome the NCAA’s finest
The head coach of the Concordia men’s basketball team, Rastko Popovic, has organized six home games against NCAA Division 1 opponents to launch the Stinger’s 2017-18 season.
“It will be exciting for our young players to get game experience against quality competition,” he says. “It’s a great early opportunity to measure themselves against NCAA Division 1 talent."
The coach added that the packed schedule of six games in 10 days is a chance for fans to get to know the current Stingers team before the regular Canadian university basketball season gets under way. “These games will be great battles, and we feel they are winnable for us.”
The contests begin Monday, Aug. 21 when the Canisius Griffins, a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference team from Buffalo, New York, come to Concordia. The Griffs posted an 18-16 win-loss record last season.
The rest of the schedule is as follows:
- Wednesday, Aug. 23 vs. Northeastern Huskies (Colonial Athletic Association)
- Thursday, Aug. 24 vs. New Hampshire Wildcats (American East Conference)
- Tuesday, Aug. 29 vs. St. Francis Brooklyn Terriers (Northeast Conference)
- Thursday, Aug. 31 vs. Siena Saints (Metro Atlantic Conference)
- Friday, Sept. 1 vs. Hofstra Pride - (Colonial Athletic Association)
All games start at 7 p.m. Tickets will be available at the door.
The men’s basketball team’s regular season opens Thursday, Nov. 9 when the Stingers host the Bishop’s Gaiters.