Skip to main content

Archaeological fieldwork

How to obtain credits for participation in Archaeological Fieldwork:

Concordia does not offer its own archaeological project. Students can find a place or project by using resources such as the Internet, the Archaeological Institute of America Fieldwork Opportunities Bulletin, etc.

There are numerous options for participating in archaeological fieldwork.  Students may take part in an excavation or survey project, or even underwater archaeology, if properly trained.  This work need not be restricted to the Mediterranean world; sites around the world could be eligible.

Other types of work can also be approved:

·         supervised work in a museum (for instance, an internship)

·         artifact analysis (for instance, on an excavation)

·         research of work for a government agency such as Historical Resources or National Parks

·         participation in a study tour of Greece, Italy, etc.

If you have any other ideas, feel free to discuss them with Dr. Jane Francis –

February is the best time of the year to start looking for such opportunities. Please keep in mind that your acceptance might not be confirmed until later in the spring, once projects have their permits and funding in place.  Students are advised to act fast and early since popular projects fill up quickly.  It is recommended to start by sending out e-mail inquiries regarding prerequisites (prior experience, photographic experience, etc.), cost, and whether university credits are involved. 

There is, at present, only one way of obtaining credits for Archaeology Fieldwork: Credits from another university (INTU or External Credit Transfer - see below).
Note: Concordia only approves credit courses taken through degree conferring universities.

To receive Concordia Credits, students must participate in a credit-granting project given by a degree conferring university. The appropriate tuition fee must be paid as part of the enrolment fee.  Once the required coursework is completed, the on-site professor, will assign a grade at the host university. To transfer these credits (in case of an INTU also the grade) to Concordia the following steps must be taken:

1.      The project must be approved by Dr. Jane Francis or the Department of Classics, Modern Languages, and Linguistics – Note: Description of the project must be provided by the student.  

2.      INTU: If the Project is offered by a Quebec University, an INTU Request must be submitted via the following Government Website: Bureau de coopération interuniversitaire (BCI). Permission of Concordia and the Host University is required. Students who receive permission must register in the course at the Host University. The credits and the grade will eventually be transferred to the student’s Concordia Record.

3.      EXTERNAL CREDIT TRANSFER: For projects offered by an institution outside Quebec, students must fill out a Student Request (Form can be found on the Portal). The Request along with course description and credit value must be submitted to the Home Department. The Request must be approved by the Student Academic Services Unit of the respective Faculty prior to participating in the project.

Note 1: Normally, no more than 3 credits are accepted for such projects as core for most of our Classics programs. However, extra credits can be used as Electives, and in some cases—upon approval of our Department—toward a Classics program.

Note 2: All requests for External Credits must be approved by the Student Academic Services Unit of the respective Faculty prior to taking part in the project. Early action is recommended since an answer from the Student Request Committee may take up to four weeks. Eligibility criteria may apply.

Note 3: Credits are transferred upon completion of the course through the Office of the Registrar. In case of External Credit Transfer, the final number of transfer credits is determined by the Faculty upon receipt of official transcript from the Host University.

FINAL NOTE: The transfer credit process takes time and taking external credits in the final year of studies is not recommended as it may cause delays in graduation.

Back to top

© Concordia University