514-848-2424 ext. 5729
Since 2007, the W2I team has been working to generate awareness in the news media of the public policy debates surrounding mass atrocity prevention. View the coverage our initiatives have received in the media since the launch of the W2I report and other news related to mass atrocity prevention below.
Special News Coverage of the Report Launch
The release of the W2I report in 2009 generated widespread national and international press coverage, with more than 100 newspaper stories and more than a dozen national and local TV and radio interviews. Just as significantly, MIGS distributed the report to the most influential politicians in Canada and the United States, arousing significant interest at the highest levels of government in Ottawa and Washington.
- "Conflit en Syrie: quels enjeux pour les pays voisins?" | Kyle Matthews interviewed in L’Actualité, August 28
- “L’observateur impuissant” | Kyle Matthews, La Presse, 5 August 2013
- "Is Vladimir Putin really a voice of reason?" | Kyle Matthews, Globalnews.ca, 13 July 2013
- "Teaching the world to prevent genocide" | Kyle Matthews and Zach Paikin, Now Magazine, 26 June 2013
- "Is Harper's Syria strategy wrong headed?" | Kyle Matthews and Zach Paikin, The Globe and Mail, 24 June 2013
- "À l'Université Concordia le sénateur Roméo Dallaire parle de la prévention des génocides" | 45eNord, 12 June 2013
- "Kyle Matthews, directeur adjoint de l'Institute montréalais d'études sur le génocide et les droits de la personne" | Interview by Nicolas Laffont, 45eNord.ca, 3 June, 2013
- Lt-Gen. Roméo Dallaire commemorates and salutes peacekeepers on the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers, 29 May 2013
- "The problem with the Response to the UN Crisis" | Lt-Gen. Roméo Dallaire, The Globalbrief, 28 May 2013
- “Finding the courage to fight genocide” | Kyle Matthews, iPolitics.ca, 24 April 2013
- “Canada needs an atrocities prevention board” | Distinguished Senior Fellow Roméo Dallaire and Justin Mohammed, Embassy Magazine, 13 March 2013
- Does the lesson from Syria imply it is better to save no one | Kyle Matthews, The Globe and Mail, 20 February 2013
- The End of Atrocity | Kyle Matthews, Canadian International Council, 12 February 2013
- Ne restons pas les bras croisés | Roméo Dallaire and Kyle Matthews, La Presse, 17 January 2013
- The Price of Inaction in Mali. | Roméo Dallaire and Kyle Matthews, The National Post, 15 January 2013
- Recommitting to R2P | Victor MacDiarmid and Patrick Quinton-Brown, Canadian International Council, 11 May 2012
- Toronto Proclaims May 10 "Will to Intervene" Day | Now, Concordia University, 10 May 2012
- Where is Canada's Atrocity Prevention Board? | Roméo Dallaire, Kyle Matthews, Frank Chalk, Ottawa Citizen, 30 April 2012
- Don't let the DRC go up in flames | Frank Chalk, Roméo Dallaire and Kyle Matthews, Ottawa Citizen, 13 December 2011
- Using witnesses in the fight for human rights | Jonathan Hutson and Kyle Matthews, Embassy Magazine, 23 November 2011
- Les gens ne peuvent pas vivre éternellement sous la tyrannie et la dictature | Claude Lévesque, Le Devoir, 4 November 2011
- Worse than Gaddafi? | Tasha Kheiriddin, The National Post, 28 October 2011
- RE: Worse than Gaddafi? | Kyle Matthews, Letter to the Editor, The National Post, 29 October 2011
- Its time to beef up prevention | Art Eggleton, Toronto Star, 26 October 2011
- Le 10è anniversaire de la Responsabilité de protéger donne l'occaison de demander quels sont les défis associés aux drames humanitaires et le rôle clé qu'ont les medias | Polina Khomenko, Le Délit, 25 October
- Conference looks at the Responsibility to Protect, ten years later | Jacqueline Di Bartolomeo, The Concordian, 25 October 2011
- Tweets from a war zone, deconstructed| Daniel J. Rowe, The Concordian, 25 October 2011
- It's time to get rid of Joseph Kony | Kate Heartfield, Ottawa Citizen, 23 October 2011
- La Responsabilité de protéger : 10 ans plus tardm tout reste à faire | Roméo Dallaire, Kyle Matthews, Frank Chalk, La Presse, 23 October
- Canada's role in Gadhafi's fall | Olivia Ward, Toronto Star, 22 October 2011
- Did Qaddafi's End Justify the Means? | Kyle Matthews, Foreign Policy Magazine, 20 October
- Social media lag where atrocities abound | Karen Seidman, The Montreal Gazette, 20 October 2011
- Medium is the txt msg | Barbara Pavpne, The Mirror, 20 October 2011
- Nez à Nez: National Interests necessarily corrupt humanitarian interventions | Kyle Matthews and Wolfgang Krieger, Global Brief, 19 October 2011
- Canada and the Responsibility to Protect | Juilian Siskind, The Mark News, 19 October 2011
- Les génocides : Concordia viot un autre role pour les médias | Claude Lévésque, Le Devoir, 18 October 2011
- Media's Promise to Prevent Mass Atrocities | Frank Chalk and Kyle Matthews, Embassy Magazine, 12 October 2011
- Voices from Civil Society | International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect, Summer 2011
- Was wiegt schwerer: das Recht des Saats oder des Menschen? (In German) | Fachhochschule Munster University of Applied Sciences, 20 May 2011
- The Pre-emptive Humanitarian | Aparna Sanyal, Montreal Review of Books, Spring 2011
- Kyle Matthews discussed the escape of a Canadian hostage in Syria and the shrinking humanitarian space: CBC TV news and Global National, 17 October 2013
- Kyle Matthews gave his analysis of the situation in Egypt on Global TV Montreal, and on CBC Montreal’s Radio Noon
- Kyle Matthews was interviewed about the footage of alleged chemical weapons attack in Syria, Global News, August 22,
- Kyle Matthews appeared on Global News Montreal, to discuss the Syria Crisis with Jamie Orchard, August 27. The interview titled: “Syria in the Red” can be found here
- Kyle Matthews discussed the situation in Syria on on CTV Montreal, August 28.
- MIGS’ distinguished Senior Fellow, Roméo Dallaire, gave his point of view on a possible intervention in Syria on Global News, stating: the “world should have intervened in Syria a year ago”, August 28. The interview can be found here
- Kyle Matthews gave his take on the situation in Egypt on Global TV Montreal: "Egypt in a state of emergency."
- MIGS' Professional training Program on the Prevention of Mass Atrocities - report and interviews.
- LaPresse journalist André Pratte interviewed MIGS' Distinguished Senior Fellow Roméo Dallaire on the horrors of war: "They are dehumanized." 24 May 2013
- Kyle Matthews appeared on CTV News to discuss how the UN doctrine, "The Responsibility to Protect," could be applied to the crisis in Syria, 26 April 2013.
- Kyle Matthews gave an interview to CTV News on Mali's War, 31January 2013.
- Kyle Matthews on CBC News The National to discuss the situation in Mali, 29 January 2013
- MIGS' Senior Deputy Kyle Matthews talks to CBC News: "A Will to Intervene in Mali", 15 January 2013
- CPAC's full coverage of our 2011 conference in both English and French can be viewed from the videos section of the conference website, 20-21 October 2011
- Watch interviews with Mona Eltahawy, Roméo Dallaire, Gordon Smith, André Pratte and Rick McInnes Rae; all speakers at MIGS' 2011 conference marking the 10th anniversary of the Responsibility to Protect.
- CBC Power and Politics with Evan Solomon, 21 October 2011
- Montreal Review of Books, Interview with LGen (ret'd) Roméo Dallaire, the MIGS Senior Fellow, on child soldiers and the Will to Intervene project, 28 February 2011
- BNN, Interview with Kyle Matthews on Prime Minister Harper's sanctions against Libya, 28 February 2011
- CTV, CTV Montreal News, (W2I on CTV Montreal September 27, 2010) Interview with Kyle Matthews of the Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies, discussing the book "Mobilizing the Will to Intervene".
- CTV, CTV National News, (W2I on CTV) W2I Project Co-Directors, Dr. Frank Chalk and General Roméo Dallaire, appeared on CTV National News to discuss W2I’s findings.
- CTV, CTV Montreal News, (W2I on CTV Montreal) W2I Lead Researcher Kyle Matthews appeared on CTV to discuss our project.
- CBC Newsworld, Interview with Romeo Dallaire, Sept 22
- CBC Newsworld Political Hour, Interview with Romeo Dallaire and Frank Chalk, Sept 22
- Kyle Matthews gave his take on the situation in Egypt on CBC Radio Noon. 14 August 2013
- Kyle Matthews gave an interview to CJAD800 and Radio Canada International to discuss MIGS' Professional Training Program on the Prevention of Mass Atrocities
- Kyle Matthews discussed the Parliament's debate on Canada's role in Syria with CBC DayBreak Montreal. Please, listen here (22 minutes into the program), 8 May 2013
- Kyle Matthews discussed Canada’s role in Mali with News 91.9. Listen to the interview here. 15 March 2013
- W2I's Kyle Matthews on CBC's The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti to discuss R2P and Syria: "Does the Responsibility to Protect doctrine mean Canada is obligated to intervene militarily in Syria?" 4 February 2013
- W2I Senior Deputy Director Kyle Matthews gives an interview to CJAD's Barry Morgan Show to discuss the situation in Mali. Listen here!
- CBC Homerun, Gaddafi, 20 October 2011, interviews with Kyle Matthews and Roméo Dallaire
- Radio Canada International, Feb 24 2011, Interview with W2I Lead Researcher, Kyle Matthews, "Looking at the World's Responsibility to Protect Libya's People"
- Radio Centre-Ville 102.3 FM, Jan 18 2011, Interview with W2I Lead Researcher, Kyle Matthews, "L'histoire jugera"
- Quebec AM, Dec 30 2010, Interview with Kyle Matthews, "Violence in the Congo"
- WICH-AM, Dec 13 2010, Interview with Kyle Matthews
- KBEM-FM, Dec 10 2010, Interview with Kyle Matthews
- WMKY 90.3 FM WOCS 88.3 FM, Dec 9 2010, Interview with Kyle Matthews
- WNWR-AM, Dec 3 2010, Interview with Frank Chalk
- WATR-AM, Dec 2 2010, Interview with Kyle Matthews
- WCMU Public Broadcasting, Dec 2 2010, Interview with Kyle Matthews
- KPFK 90.7 FM (Los Angeles), Nov 29 2010, Interview with Frank Chalk
- WOCA-AM (Gainesville), Nov 22 2010, Interview with Kyle Matthews
- WXRK-FM (New York City), Nov 21 2010, Interview with Kyle Matthews
- KYW-AM (Philadelphia), Nov 1 2010, Interview with Kyle Matthews
- WSIU-FM, Oct 29 2010, Interview with Frank Chalk
- WQUB-FM, Oct 28 2010, Interview with Frank Chalk
- WOJB-FM, Oct 28 2010, Interview with Frank Chalk
- WBAI-FM (New York City), Oct 14 2010, Interview with Kyle Matthews
- CBC Radio, The Current (W2I on The Current) W2I Co-Director General Roméo Dallaire and Research Steering Committee members Senator Hugh Segal and Ed Broadbent appeared together on CBC Radio’s main national morning show, The Current, to explain the importance of the Will to Intervene Project.
- CJOB 68, Sept 23 2009
- CFAX1070 (Victoria, BC), Interview with Kyle Matthews, Sept 23 2009
- News 1130 Radio, Sept 22 2009
- Q 97.5 EZ Rock, Sept 23
- Radio-Canada International (RCI), Interview with Frank Chalk, Sept 22
- Radio-Canada Quebec, Interview with Kyle Matthews, Sept 22
- Radio-Canada Radio (Émission Pierre Maisonneuve), Interview with Romeo Dallaire, Sept 22
- Radio Ville-Marie, Interview with Kyle Matthews, Sept 22
- RDI (Daniel L’Heureux), Interview with Romeo Dallaire, Sept 22
- Sun FM, Sept 22
- 570 News Radio, Sept 22
- 790 CIGM Sudbury’s News Leader, Sept 22
Building the Will to Intervene
US Holocaust Memorial Museum, Preventing Genocide 1 October 2009
A Call For Canada and the U.S. to Prevent Genocide
Mark Christopher, Operation Broken Silence 12 October 2009
Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies (MIGS)
1250 Guy St.
Montreal, QC, H3H 2T4, Canada
Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies (MIGS)
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West
Montreal, QC, H3H 2L3