On September 21, 2009, the W2I Project launched Mobilizing the Will to Intervene: Leadership and Action to Prevent Mass Atrocities at a public event hosted at the United States Institute of Peace in Washington, DC.
Prof. Frank Chalk introduced the report’s findings, followed by a panel discussion with Gen. Dallaire and former senior U.S. government officials on the report’s policy proposals and the challenges of mobilizing the domestic will in the U.S. to prevent mass atrocities.
- Lieut. General (retired) Roméo Dallaire; Senior Fellow, Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies; Co-Director, Will to Intervene Project
- Michael Gerson; Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Global Engagement
- John Prendergast; Co-Founder, the Enough Project
- Tara Sonenshine, Opening Remarks; Executive Vice President, U.S. Institute of Peace
- James Traub, Moderator; Contributing Writer, New York Times Magazine
The W2I partners for the event were the Genocide Prevention Working Group and the United States Institute of Peace.