How to save money on prescription drugs
Did you know that how you use your health plan affects the cost of your coverage? You contribute to your health plan through automatic deductions from your paycheque. At Concordia, these contribution rates have remained the same or decreased for the last two years. Our last article, 5 tips for using your health plan wisely, gave tips on how to help you make sure your health plan rates don’t increase.
An interactive tool to help you save
One of our tips was to compare prescription drug prices. Desjardins Insurance, Concordia’s Health Plan provider, now has a new tool that will help you do just that.
Checking the price of a product before buying it is a good way to save money and a good habit to adopt, even for prescription drugs. With the Desjardins Financial Security interactive drug cost simulator, you can:
- Quickly check whether the prescribed drug is covered under your plan.
- Estimate how much you’ll have to pay.
- Compare the cost of the drug to a less expensive generic equivalent.
Make a wiser choice
Knowing more about drug prices and generic equivalents will help you make wiser choices. Since prices can vary from one pharmacy to the next and according to region, you’ll likely notice a difference between what you’re paying at your pharmacy and the average market price. If you want to shop around for your prescription drugs the way you do for other products, remember that service quality and your pharmacist’s expertise are also important.
Log-in to the drug cost simulator
Here’s how to save money on drug costs without compromising your health.
- Visit the Desjardins Insurance Online Services for individuals web page.
- Under the Online Services menu, select For Individuals, then Group Insurance
- Log in*
- Under the I Want To section, select Confirm Drug Coverage
- You’ll also find an FAQ document to help you use the tool.
Enjoy the new tool — and the potential savings!
* You must be registered for the Desjardins Insurance secure site for plan members to use the drug cost simulator. In order to register, you will need your Group number (Q055) and your certificate number (a total of nine digits: your Concordia employee number with zeros as fillers at the beginning).
If you have any questions contact Human Resources at 514-848-2424, ext. 3666 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, resources and videos, please visit the Desjardins Insurance web page.
Reminder: April 30 is the deadline to submit all 2014 health, vision and dental care claims to Desjardins Financial Security.