14-20 March 2016
Compiled by Emma Allison Howie
- Mbabazi vs. Election Results
- Post-election violence in Kasese
- Opposition Candidate Kizza Besigye Still Under House Arrest
- International Reactions To The Ugandan Elections
1. Mbabazi vs. Election Results
The Daily Monitor, March 20th 2016 – Rakai police detain Mbabazi witness
- One of Go Forward presidential candidate Amama Mbabazi’s key witnesses in his petition challenging the election of Mr Yoweri Museveni has been found in detention at Rakai Central Police Station after days of search by his colleagues.
- Speaking to Sunday Monitor at Masaka Central Police Station cells where he had been transfered on Thursday, Mr Kaheeru said he was arrested at Mutukula border last Sunday where he was found reading a newspaper and was accused of inciting violence and mobilising the Opposition to overthrow the government.
- The southern regional police spokesperson, Mr Ibin Ssenkumbi, said Mr Kaheeru was being detained on charges of inciting violence and denied claims that they had arrested him over the ongoing election petition in the Supreme Court.
The Daily Monitor, March 20th 2016 – Mbabazi lays evidence on dubious vote results
- Mr Amama Mbabazi’s lawyers on Saturday laid evidence before the Supreme Court showing glaring discrepancies between the number of votes recorded in the tally sheets and those in the results declaration forms.
- The nine-judge panel of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Bart Katureebe, is hearing the petition filed by former presidential candidate Amama Mbabazi who is challenging the validity of President Museveni’s election on February 18.
- In a move to tighten their case, counsel Mohmed Mbabazi, the lead lawyer representing Mr Mbabazi, cited Nyakabungo polling station in Kabale District in which zero votes were recorded in the tally sheets and yet in the declaration forms, there were votes recorded.
- He gave the example of President Museveni’s home district of Kiruhura where there was 100 per cent voter turn up and all of them voted for one person. Mr Twinobusingye also went ahead to show court how in some polling stations, there were more votes cast that the registered voters.
2. Post-election violence in Kasese
New Vision, March 14th 2016 – Kayihura speaks out on Kasese, Bundigbugyo attacks
- This statement is to give information in connection with recent incidents of violence in Kasese and Bundibugyo districts given the distorted, and manipulated messages being sent out, especially on social media.
- After the February 24th LC5 elections, there were clashes resulting from dissatisfaction by some candidates and their supporters. the violence started in Busengerwa village of Busaru sub county where one person was shot dead by a former UPDF guide, called Museveni Bonifance, alias Bhangi, which led to retaliatory attacks in Busaru, Ngamba and Kirumya sub counties, leaving 15 Civilians dead and 04 others injured, 139 houses were also set ablaze.
- On the night of 10th March2016, at 8pm, the day after the elections of LC III Chairpersons, a joint motorized patrol of Police and UPDF, while patrolling lower Kendahi cell, Kikongo ward, Hima Town Council, was attacked by over 30 persons armed with machetes, knives and clubs. 04 soldiers were injured, two of them critically, and the attackers tried to grab their guns. In self-defense, the patrol opened fire on the attackers, instantly killing two of them, and forcing the rest of them to flee.
- It should be noted that prior to the 2016 LC III Elections on 9th March 2016, there were widespread threats and intimidation not only in Kasese district, but throughout the sub region against voting for certain candidates.
The Daily Monitor, March 15th 2016 – Election malpractice caused Kasese violence – Rwenzori leaders
- Leaders of the Rwenzori Fraternity have dismissed statements made by the Inspector General of Police, Gen Kale Kayihura, in connection with the incident in Kasese where six people have so far been killed following run-ins with the police and the army, and police chief linked the attackers to the Rwenzururu Kingdom.
- While many versions of these events have been out in the media and from government officials namely post-election violence, allegations of Yiira state, tribal or ethnic conflicts; we appreciate the concerns of the different stakeholders and our findings are that the violence that erupted was purely post-election violence that came out of a poorly managed electoral process,” said Mr David Bwambale, the leader of the Rwenzori Fraternity.
- Their reaction came a day after Gen Kayihura’s preliminary investigations into the March 10 clashes indicated that the attacks were carried out by a militia linked to the Rwenzururu Kingdom.
3. Opposition Candidate Kizza Besigye Still Under House Arrest
The Daily Monitor, March 17th 2016 – Besigye runs to the High Court over his house arrest
- The confined former Forum for Democratic Change presidential candidate, Dr Kizza Besigye, has petitioned the High Court to declare the police’s continued siege of his residence in Kasangati as illegal and order them and other security forces to leave his home.
- Dr Besigye specifically wants court to order police to leave his home in Kasangati, Wakiso District, and allow him free movement both within and outside the country.
- The police have confined Dr Besigye his home in Kasangati since February 20, two days after the disputed presidential elections in which President Museveni was declared winner with 60.7 per cent of the vote and would see him extend his 30-year rule to 35.
4. International Reactions To The Ugandan Elections
The Daily Monitor, March 19th 2016 – EU Parliament debates Uganda 2016 elections
- The European Union Parliament has urged the government of Uganda to immediately “release” the Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) presidential candidate, Dr Kizza Besigye, who was placed under what government and police describes as “preventive arrest” in the aftermath of the just-concluded presidential election.
- The EU-EOM report also raised a red flag over the intimidation and harassment of the Opposition and its supporters by police, the conduct of state broadcaster [Uganda Broadcasting Corporation] by denying the Opposition space, the orchestrated use of state resources and personnel for campaign purposes of the incumbent, among others.
The Daily Monitor, March 20th 2016 – Obama’s envoy makes secret visit to Museveni
- Former United States top diplomat for Africa, Johnnie Carson, has held back-to-back meetings with President Museveni and Foreign Affairs minister Sam Kutesa, during a surprise visit to Uganda this week.
- Mr Obama’s administration expressed “deep concern” that the February 18 polls which Mr Museveni won was marred by irregularities and “Ugandans deserved better” in a statement issued after government temporarily disabled social media networks and placed his presidential challenger, Dr Kizza Besigye, under house arrest, for a month today.