27 July - 2 August , 2015
Compiled by Vincent Marquis
- Tense reactions to peace agreement proposal
- Calls for peace in Jonglei state
- Inter-clan clashes in Warrap state
1. Tense reactions to peace agreement proposal
(Sudan Tribune, independent/privately-owned online media platform, article dated July 27, 2015, in English) S. Sudanese presidency reacts to IGAD’s peace proposal
- The spokesperson for the South Sudanese presidency has expressed reservations over a proposal by the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) to demilitarize the capital and give the armed opposition faction an upper hand in power sharing arrangements.
- “We have accepted the 33 percent for the SPLM in opposition in central government but we have refused it in Upper Nile,” Ateny Wek Ateny told reporters in reaction to IGAD’s proposal.
- In the oil-rich greater Upper Nile region, the SPLM-IO would have 53% in the three states of Unity, Upper Nile and Jonglei, while the government would take 33%, and 14% would be divided between former detainees and other political parties.
(Sudan Tribune, independent/privately-owned online media platform, article dated July 27, 2015, in English)US “out of patience” with South Sudan’s warring sides
- The United States special envoy to Sudan and South Sudan, Donald Booth said his country has run out of patience over delays by South Sudan’s warring factions to resolve the ongoing conflict that has killed tens of thousands of people.
- “Too many lives have been lost, millions of South Sudanese have been displaced and too many are at the verge of starvation and facing h/omelessness. The talks can’t continue without end,” Booth told reporters.
- Andrew Natsios, a former US envoy to South Sudan, said an entirely new approach was needed if the current negotiations by IGAD fail.
- “The United States government and European countries should initiate new talks with new sponsors. And the immediate priority of those discussions should be to weaken the military capacity of the warring parties while urgently brokering a humanitarian cease-fire,” Natsios claimed.
(Eye Radio, independent/privately-owned online media platform, article dated July 29, 2015, in English) Kiir, Riek must sign peace deal in August
- President Barack Obama says President Salva Kiir and Dr Riek Machar must sign a peace agreement on 17 August, emphasizing that accountability for all atrocities committed in the conflict must be part of any lasting peace agreement.
- In an address to the African Union in Addis Ababa, Obama declared: “I was there at the United Nations when we held up South Sudan as a promise of a new beginning…[But] neither Mr Kiir nor Mr Machar has shown so far an interest in…reaching a political solution.”
- “I met with leaders from this region. We agreed that given the current situation, Mr Kiir and Mr Machar must reach an agreement by August 17th, because if they do not, I believe the international community must raise the costs of intransigence,” Obama added.
(Gurtong, independent/privately-owned online media platform, article dated July 30, 2015, in English) Government forms committee to discuss and deliberate IGAD proposed agreement
- Speaking after an SPLM meeting on Wednesday, Hon. Michael Makuei Lueth, Minister of Information and Government Spokesperson, told reporters that the expanded SPLM Leadership met to discuss the IGAD proposal.
- It was decided that the following three committees would be formed: the Committee on Governance, headed by telecommunication and postal services; the Committee on Economic Issues, headed by Awut Deng Achuil; and a third Committee on Permanent Cease Fire and Security Arrangement, headed by Peter Bashir Bandy.
- The committees are expected to study the provisions of the proposed agreement and report their recommendations by 31 July 2015.
(Sudan Tribune, independent/privately-owned online media platform, article dated July 30, 2015, in English) S. Sudan army chief rejects IGAD power-sharing proposal
- The South Sudanese army chief of staff, Paul Malong Awan, has expressed disapproval over the content of the recent IGAD peace proposal, claiming that any proposal seeking to place the Upper Nile region under control of the armed opposition forces will not be accepted.
- “We are not going to accept to replace Stephen Buay, who has resisted in division one, and then Nhial, Batong, Pul Jang, and two sector commanders: Gong Biliu and Charles Lam. We will not replace them with those who have rebelled. It will not happen”, stressed the army chief.
- Awan was speaking as chief guest of the red army day on Wednesday during which he stressed the need to reward those who fought alongside the government forces in three states of the greater Upper Nile region and in states within the Equatoria region.
(Eye Radio, independent/privately-owned online media platform, article dated July 30, 2015, in English) Kiir rejects key provisions of proposed peace deal, downplays Obama’s pressure
- President Salva Kiir has rejected some provisions in the Compromise Agreement proposed by IGAD Plus, saying giving the SPLM-IO a larger percentage of power in the Upper Nile region is meant to divide the country.
- Kiir added that President Barack Obama’s statement asking the two leaders to sign an agreement next month will not lead to lasting peace.
- However, Kiir reiterated his alleged commitment to finding a diplomatic solution, saying: “I’m confident that through meaningful and honest interactions, we can work together to find solutions that will both support the citizens of South Sudan and expedite the peace process.”
(Eye Radio, independent/privately-owned online media platform, article dated August 1, 2015, in English) Opposition parties reject draft compromise agreement
- The National Alliance of opposition political parties has disagreed to key provisions in the Compromise Agreement proposed by international mediators under IGAD-Plus.
- In response to the proposed agreement, the alliance says the SPLM, whose split caused the current conflict, should not be given such an important share of power, and added that the government should not be presidential but technocratic and headed by a prime ministers
- The alliance also claimed the proposal did not focus enough on the judicial system, asking for the formation of “a Judicial Reform Committee in order to review all the legislation governing the Judiciary to guarantee its independence and competence.”
(Sudan Tribune, independent/privately-owned online media platform, article dated August 2, 2015, in English) Thousands protest against IGAD’s peace proposal in Jonglei
- Thousands of people, comprising intellectuals, women and chiefs took to the streets of Bor, the Jonglei state capital, to protest against the recent Intergovernmental Authority on Development’s draft peace proposal.
- In a petition addressed to the IGAD peace negotiators, demonstrators argued that the proposed peace agreement meant giving out the national oil resources located mainly within the Upper Nile region.
- Demonstrators also rejected surrendering the Greater Upper Nile region to the armed opposition forces, arguing that this will likely contribute to the escalation of violence in the oil-rich region.
2. Calls for peace in Jonglei state
(Sudan Tribune, independent/privately-owned online media platform, article dated July 27, 2015, in English) Calls for peace among Jonglei state communities intensify
- Officials in South Sudan’s Jonglei state have reiterated calls for peace among the Dinka Bor and Nuer communities, saying this would restore trust and confidence among these tribes.
- Maker Thiong Maal, Bor country MP, said people responsible for South Sudan’s destruction were top militants and politicians who deceived local populations to achieve their own political interests. “The people who are destroying this national unity are…the top people in the country”, he claimed.
- The governor of Jonglei state, John Kong, said the next round of peace talks in Addis Ababa might yield positive results if rebels sincerely agree to the peace deal that the South Sudanese need. “The government is committed to bring peace but the rebels are not”, he said.
3. Inter-clan clashes in Warrap state
(Sudan Tribune, independent/privately-owned online media platform, article dated July 29, 2015, in English)Warrap sectional clashes leave over 19 people dead amid fears of revenge attack
- More than 19 people have been killed in sectional clashes in Warrap state between rival Dinka communities, generating fears that more retaliatory attacks could occur.
- Ariech Mayar Ariec, Deputy Head of Parliamentary Committee for Information and Communications, told Sudan Tribune that more than 12 people have been confirmed killed in three separate locations between two sections in the area.
4. Report on human rights abuses in Upper Nile region
(Gurtong, independent/privately-owned online platform, article dated June 30, 2015, in English) UNMISS uncovers human rights abuses in Upper Nile region
- According to a statement released by the United Nations Mission in South Sudan, evidence has been found of widespread human rights abuses allegedly committed by the SPLA and associated armed groups during the recent escalation of violence in Unity State.
- Ellen Margrethe Loej, the Special Representative of the United Nation Secretary-General (UN-SRSG) for South Sudan and head of UNMISS has called for accessibility to verify the reported violation.
- “The survivors of these attacks reported that SPLA and allied militias from Mayom County carried out a campaign against the local population that killed civilians, looted and destroyed villages and displaced over 100,000 people” said UNMISS.
- The Mission said some of the most disturbing allegations compiled by UNMISS human rights officers focused on the abduction and sexual abuse of women and girls, some of whom were reportedly burnt alive in their dwellings.
5. Inter-clan violence in Upper Nile and Lakes states
(Gurtong, independent/privately-owned online platform, article dated July 3, 2015, in English) One person killed, six injured in Malakal UNMISS camp shooting
- Sources in Malakal, Upper Nile State, have reported that inter-clan fights occurred on Wednesday in the United Nations’ Protection of Civilians site (PoC) in which one person was killed and six others injured.
- The UNMISS has condemned the shooting and said that it had received information that three members of the forces belonging to either the SPLA-IO or the allied militia led by Gen. Johnson Olony who are currently controlling the Upper Nile state capital are responsible.
- UNMISS peacekeepers returned fire against the assailants and are currently engaging with senior commanders of armed opposition forces in an attempt to identify the perpetrators.
(Gurtong, independent/privately-owned online platform, article dated July 5, 2015, in English) Renewed clashes between sub-clans leave 15 dead
- Authorities in Cueibet County of Lakes state have reported that at least 15 people have been killed and 21 others injured in renewed clashes between the Pan-Nguong and Pan-Awuor sub-clans.
- The Acting Minister of Information and Communication, who is also the Minister of Local Government and Law Enforcement Agency in Lakes State, Jok Ayom, said that measures are being taken to arrest all culprits of the clashes.
- Local police say state authorities have become increasingly isolated, with the public refusing to share information with law enforcement officers, making it difficult to investigate killings and maintain law and order in the region.