11-17 April 2016
Media Monitoring Report for Rwanda
Posted on April 22, 2016
Compiled by Berta Fürstová
- Genocide suspect Leon Mugesera sent to prison for life
- FDLR rebels attacked a police station
1. Genocide suspect Leon Mugesera sent to prison for life
Private independent newspapers
“Mugesera sent to prison for life” by Stevenson Mugisha. Rwanda focus, 15th April 2016
- Genocide suspect, Leon Mugesera, has been given a life sentence by the High Court.
- Mugesera was the vice chairman for genocidal political party, MRND, in then Gisenyi prefecture. He also taught Linguistics at the National University of Rwanda, Nyakinama Campus in the Northern Province.
- He is accused of committing crimes mainly through his infamous speech he gave in western Rwanda in November 1992 where he incited the killing of Tutsis across the country.
- Mugesera was accused of five crimes, namely, inciting the masses to take part in genocide, planning and preparing the genocide, conspiracy in the crime of genocide, harassing the Tutsis as a crime against mankind, and inciting hatred among people, and he was found guilty on all counts.
- His laywer appealed against the ruling.
2. FDLR rebels attacked a police station
“RDF says situation under control after repulsing FDLR” by Gahiji Innocent. News of Rwanda, 16th April 2016
- According to Lt. Col. René Ngendahimana, the Deputy Spokesperson for defense ministry and RDF, during the night of 15-16 April suspected FDLR terrorists elements infiltrated Rwanda from the DRC and attacked the Rwanda National Police Station in Rubavu District, Bugeshi Sector, Kabumba Cell. The attackers were repulsed back by National Defence and Security Forces to DRC.
- Eye witnesses said the rebels also attacked Bugeshi SACCO bank. Bullets holes can be seen through the main door and glasses were broken. It is not clear whether the rebels might have wanted to rob the bank.
- Area residents said they heard gunfire which lasted for about 50 minutes.
- Mukandasira Caritas, the Western Province governor, accused some Bugeshi residents of shielding the infiltrators.