11-17 January 2015
Media Monitoring Report for Rwanda
Posted on January 22, 2016
Compiled by Berta Fürstová
1.Rusagara, Byabagamba trial: Prosecutors present evidence against Col. Byabagamba
1. Rusagara, Byabagamba trial: Prosecutors present evidence against Col. Byabagamba
Private but pro-government newspapers
“Prosecutors present evidence against Col. Byabagamba” by Rodrigue Rwirahira. New Times, 15th January 2016
- The Military prosecution presented before Military High Court, evidence implicating Col. Tom Byabagamba in acts of tarnishing the image of both the country and the Head of State.
- Capt. Faustin Nzakamwita, the lead prosecutor, stated that Byabagamba, a member of the Rwanda Defence Force (RDF), should have committed the crimes while on his mission in South Sudan as a part of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS).
- According to Nzakamwita, the accused, while in service in Juba, uttered defamatory statements against the government including accusing the Government of Rwanda for the death of Patrick Karegeya, and a one Major John Sengati.
- The accused and his two lawyers dismissed the allegations, saying they are contradictory and inconsistent.
- Byabagamba is also accused of disrespecting the national flag, obstruction of justice and inciting public insurrection.
- He is accused alongside Brig. Gen. Frank Rusagara (rtd) and Francois Kabayiza, a former driver of the latter.