9-16 March 2016
Compiled by Amira Arif
- IS forces kidnap 15 Egyptians in Tripoli
- UN and the EU set to recognize the legitimacy of the UN-introduced, Skhirat government
- Terrorist groups attack another oil field, oil fields emerging as a cite of repeated attacks.
- Militant groups launch hate attack, destroying a mosque.
1. IS forces kidnap 15 Egyptians in Tripoli
The Libya Herald (online news platform, article dated March 15th 2016, in English)
“IS kidnaps 15 Egyptians in Tripoli: report”
- It is being reported that 15 Egyptian workers have been seized in Tripoli, apparently by IS.
- Among the victims were the son and father of Egyptian lawyer Ramy Magdy
- So far the Ghwell administration in Tripoli has made no comment on the report.
2. UN and the EU set to recognize the legitimacy of the UN-introduced, Skhirat government
The Libya Observer (online news platform, article dated March 16th 2016, in English) “UN, EU, US recognize Skhirat government to legitimize foreign intervention in Libya”
- The United Nations Security Council Tuesday called on UN Member States to recognize Skhirat government led by Fayaz Sirraj and end official contacts with authorities in Tripoli and Tobruk.
- This government is described as “UN-imposed”
- A number of foreign observers said the western recognition of the government violates the political agreement signed in Skhirat on December 16 and would perpetuate the worsening status quo of Libya.
- Ken Hanly, a Canadian political analyst and philosophy professor said the UN-imposed government is "an instrument for the legitimization of foreign intervention in Libya."
3. Another attack by terrorist groups at an oil field in Libya
The Libya Observer (online news platform, article dated March 15th 2016, in English) “Conflicting reports surround attack on Shoala field in south Libya“
- An armed group attacked Al-Shoala field in southern Libya late on Monday,
- One report said it was an IS attack with a car bomb explosion at the gate followed by heavy shelling.
- The field is under the control of a Tabu armed group led by Ali Saidi, whose fighters are also fighting alongside Khalifa Haftar's forces in Benghazi, against IS forces.
4. Militant groups launch hate attack, destroying a mosque.
The Libya Herald (online news platform, article dated March 16th 2016, in English) “Vandals attack Tripoli’s historic Mizran Mosque, wreck second mosque on Corniche”
- Tripoli’s historic ‘Mirzan’ mosque has been attacked and badly damaged by militants, who bulldozed the mosque.
- The militants are presumed to have thought there were graves in the mosque, which is forbidden in their beliefs