10-16 July 2015
Weekly Media Monitoring report for Iran
Posted on July 24, 2015
Compiled by Hussain Shorish
- Prisoner publically hanged during holy month of Ramadan
- Iran and the six world powers come to an agreement over a nuclear deal
1. Prisoner publically hanged during holy month of Ramadan
Privately Owned Media
Iran Human Rights (Iranhr.org)
- Prisoner executed publically in Mahvelat County after being charged with the rape of an 11-year-old girl who died in the hospital, according to the website of the Judiciary for the province of Razavi Khorasan. Reports by local media indicate the prisoner was sentenced to death by hanging for rape and also sentenced to death by stoning for adultery. Iranian authorities used the Islamic Penal Code to justify the charges and sentencing.
2. Iran and the six world powers come to an agreement over a nuclear deal
Publically Owned Media
Fars news agency (farsnews.com)
- Iran and the six other countries have to a conclusion on a nuclear framework after two weeks of deliberation. The agreement, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), will, according to Iranian officials, be presented to the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), which will adopt a resolution in seven to 10 days making the JCPOA an official document.
- Based on the agreement, the world powers recognize Iran’s civilian nuclear program, including the Iran’s right to the complete nuclear cycle. The UNSC sanctions against the Islamic Republic, including all economic and financial bans, will be lifted at once under a mutually agreed framework and through a new UN resolution. Furthermore, None of the Iranian nuclear facilities will be dismantled or decomissioned. All financial restrictions on Iran will be annulled including the arms embargo after a period of five years.
- Additionally, tens of billions of dollars in Iranian revenue frozen in foreign banks will be unblocked.
- Final resolution on with the IAEA has been signed for nuclear research and development activities on all types of centrifuges, including advanced IR-6 and IR-8 machines.