October 27-31, 2014
Compiled by Philippe Dumais
- Blaise Compaoré exiled in Ivory Coast
- Gbagbo’s access denied to his mother’s funeral.
- French conspiracies against Gbagbo
- Gbagbo running to his own succession
1. Blaise Compaoré exiled in Ivory Coast
“Éditorial: Notre ami Blaise”, Fraternité Matin, Nov. 3rd, in French.
- Emphasizes the situation of Burkina Faso under Blaise Compaoré.
- Main argument: unlike Gbagbo, Compaoré stepped down instead of holding on to power.
“Réfugié en Côte d’Ivoire: Blaise Compaoré, un exilé à problème pour le régime Ouattara”, Soir info, Nov. 2nd, in French.
- The article explores the consequences on the Côte d’Ivoire. It questions the extent of the protection provided to Blaise Compaoré if he gets arrested by the CPI.
- Emphasizes Compaoré suspected involvement in regional conflicts and domestic incidents.
2. Gbagbo’s access denied to his mother’s funeral.
“Obsèques de Lélé Gado Marguerite: Pour le bien de Ouattara, la CPI Gbagbo”, Notre Voix, Oct. 31st, in French.
- The article uses the word “hostage” to describe Gbagbo’s situation. It accuses the ICC of siding with Ouattara
- Gbagbo has asked to be transferred to Côte d’Ivoire for humanitarian reasons
- According to Notre Voix, a different decision would have been made in a Western country.
3. French conspiracies against Gbagbo
“Avant le procès de Gbagbo: Maître Altit révèle les différents complots de la France contre Gbagbo”, Notre Voix, Oct. 31st, in French.
- Summary of a document written by Gbagbo’s defense attorneys . The document mentions the challenges of the investigation, the length of trial, security, the role of France in since 2000 and in the crisis etc. French authorities are accused of conspiracy
4. Gbagbo running to his own succession
“Présidence du FPI: La candidature et tous les dossiers de Gbagbo déposés”, Soir Info, Nov. 3rd, in French.
- Despite his ongoing trial, several supporters filled the required documents so that former President Gbagbo can run for IPF leadership. The campaign instigated by Soro Kelofohoua