October 13-17, 2014
Weekly Media Monitoring report for the Côte d'Ivoire
Posted on October 20, 2014
Compiled by Philippe Dumais
- Alphonse Douati: “Gbagbo can’t be forgotten”.
- Prospective role of civil society in the 2015 election
- Gbagbo to attend his mother’s funeral in Ivory Coast
1. Alphonse Douati: “Gbagbo can’t be forgotten”
“Alphonse Douati aux militants FPI de Facobly: “Parlez de Gbagbo, on n’a pas le droit de l’oublier” Notre Voix, in French.
- Current minister of natural resources
- Claims that those who consider the former President a war criminal are traitors.
- Defines Gbagbo’s defence as mission for the truth.
- Douati calls for mobilisation of the FPI and unity.
2. Prospective role of civil society in the 2015 elections
“La société civile a un rôle primordial en 2015” Le Patriote, In French.
- Speech by UN special representative to Ivory Coast: Aïchatou Mindaoudou
- She encouraged a pro-active participation of civil society in the up coming election.
- Emphasized non-violence participation in the political process
- Decisive election for the future of democracy in Ivory Coast and need to avoid the violences of 2011.
3. Gbagbo to attend his mother’s funeral in Ivory Coast
“On reparle d’un retour de Gbagbo. Ouattara en colère” Soir Info, In French
- The former President’s mother died on Wednesday 15th October.
- Debate over the possible attendance of Laurent Gbagbo at the funeral held in Ivory Coast.
- Notre Voix implies the former President could attend the funeral.
- The three step process for Gbagbo to attend is:
1) formal demand to the ICC.
2) The government of Ivory Coast must agree.
3) Proven family tie between Gbagbo and Gado Margueritte (alleged mother).