Skip to main content

GPA assessment and academic standing

Academic performance is assessed using a GPA calculation. This is done once a year and determines your academic standing for that year, at the university.

Students have two GPAs:

  1. The last annual GPA — this determines your ability to register in the next academic year.
  2. The cumulative GPA — this is an on-going calculation based on grades and credits attempted from the beginning of your degree until its completion.

As of Fall 2012, in order to be able to graduate, students must have both a last annual and a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.00.

The term GPA shows your academic performance for the particular term.


An assessment of your academic standing is done once a year after winter grades have been submitted. If you attempted at least 12 credits over an academic year – this includes the Summer, Fall, and Winter terms– your last annual GPA is calculated based on the number of courses you took and the grades achieved. If fewer than 12 credits were attempted in an academic year, no assessment will take place. In this case, credits will be forwarded to the next assessment when you accumulate the required number of credits.

Academic Standing

Academic standing is determined by your academic performance. It is measured by your grade point average (GPA).

There are three academic standings:

  • Acceptable – GPA is at least a 2.00 - you may continue in your studies.
  • Conditional – GPA is between 1.50-1.99 - you need to meet with your department advisor prior to registration (some departments may have other conditions).
  • Failed – GPA is below 1.50 for the first time or below a 2.00 after a prior Conditional Standing assessment or after being readmitted from Failed standing (second level failed standing).

Students in either Conditional or Failed Standing will be notified, in writing, by the University of their academic standing. In this letter, students will be informed of all steps that the University has deemed necessary for them to follow. Students in failed standing must apply for readmission.

Back to top

© Concordia University