Hiding in the Mirror
The Mysterious Allure of Extra Dimensions
Dr. Lawrence Krauss
ABSTRACT: From the earliest recorded writings and continuing on through the forefront of modern Physics humans longed for the possibility of hidden realities in the universe. In this lecture, the speaker will describe both the specific and cultural fascination with the possibility of extra dimensions of space, from Plato to string theory, from Picasso to Rod Sterling, and in the process will provide a whirlwind tour of modern physics and cosmology.
THE SPEAKER: Lawrence M. Krauss is Ambrose Swasey Professor of Physics, Professor of Astronomy, and Director of the Centre of Education and Research in Cosmology and Astrophysics at Case Western Reserve University. He is the author of seven popular books including "The Physics of Star Trek", and his newest book "Hiding in the Mirror: The Mysterious Allure of Extra Dimensions from Plato to String Theory and Beyond". At the same time he is a highly regarded international leader in Cosmology and Astrophysics, is the author of over two hundred scientific papers, and winner of numerous international awards for his research accomplishments and his writing. He is a Fellow of the American Physical Society and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He has been particularly active leading the effort by scientists to defend the teaching of science in public schools, and to help define the proper limits of science and religion, as well as defending scientific integrity in government.
- Past lectures
- Leonard Euler: The return to St. Petersburg
- Mary K. Gaillard, Columbia University
- Donald Pfaff, The Rockefeller University
- Climate Change Mitigation and Tropical Forests
- Science and religion
- Core social cognition
- The Violinist’s Thumb
- Changing the Stories of our Lives
- Darwin's Mad Dream
- Cybernetics: Sketches of Another Future
- Canada: Leader or Laggard in Sustaining Marine Biodiversity
- Regenerative Medicine: Fantasy or Reality?
- Evolution for Everyone
- From mind-reading to brain implants
- How artists bend the laws of physics
- Hiding in the Mirror
- Arctic Environments, Lake Mud and Climate Change
- Modern Cosmology and Superstring theory
- Adventures into brain science
- The Periodic Table
- The Cosmic Gift of Neutron Stars
- Brain and Memory
- Stem cells in cancer: do they matter?