First Peoples studies subject guide
Special Topic Guides
Indigenous educational resources for faculty - This guide is designed to assist faculty at Concordia University in decolonizing and indigenizing the curriculum, with recommended scholarly and community-based resources.
Concordia Indigenous Elder and Community Protocols - The purpose of this document is to assist Concordia University faculty, staff, and students through the process of respectfully and ethically inviting, interacting, and/or collaborating with Indigenous peoples and communities. These guidelines and protocols may also aid in the development of policies and procedures concerning teaching, research, employment, and strategies for Indigenous community outreach and engagement.
Montreal Urban Aboriginal Community Strategy Network. (2019): Indigenous Ally Toolkit.
Terminology guidelines for searching & writing about Indigenous peoples -video, pronunciation guides, recommended online resources and books with terminology guidelines.
See also our new Resource Guide on Aanti-Black and Systemic Racism
- Academic Search Complete - Canadian & American articles - all subjects
- America: History and Life - Canadian & American history
- ProQuest Combined Canadian - Canadian journal articles, newspapers, current events & theses
- Autochtonia – books, articles, & theses on the First Peoples of Quebec
- Indigenous Studies Portal - Canadian, browsable by subject
- Bibliography of Native North Americans - articles covering all aspects of Indigenous North American culture, history, and life: archaeology, multicultural relations, gaming, governance, legend, and literacy. Use Find it @ Concordia to locate articles.
- Anthropology Plus - Anthropology articles
- SocINDEX - Sociology articles
- Political Science Complete
- HeinOnline Law Journal Library - articles from law journals, U.S., Canadian and International law
- ARTBibliographies Modern - Indigenous art
- Linguistics & language behavior abstracts
- Google Scholar
- Sofia Discovery tool: search books at Concordia, Quebec Universities, or Worldwide.
- Canadian Public Policy Collection (DesLibris Documents) - ebooks and government documents
- Indigenous Authors in the Spotlight Series: Futurisms, Research Methods. Poetry and more.
Newspapers & Current Events
- Canadian Newsstream - Canadian English daily newspapers, including the Globe & Mail, Montreal Gazette, Toronto Star, National Post and many regional and local papers.
- Eureka.cc - Canadian/Quebec newspapers and magazines in French and English, includes La Presse, Le Devoir, and L'Actualité.
- CPI.Q: Canadian Periodical Index - English and French language journals and magazines, Canadian focus.
- US Newsstream - Major US daily newspapers, including The New York Times, Washington Post, Wall street journal, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun Times, Boston Globe, LA Times, USA Today and many more regional and local newspapers.
- International Newsstream - news content from outside the U.S. and Canada, in multiple languages including English, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, and Danish, See the Title List.
- Historical Newspapers - Canada, US and international
- The Hill Times - weekly newspaper that covers Canadian federal politics.
Primary source databases
Government Information Subject Guide - start here to locate government publications, reports, commissions, etc.