Try the Library Research Skills Tutorial.
It's a quick way to learn vital skills for finding the information you need to complete your projects, assignments, and research.
Community and public affairs subject guide
Books & Reports
Recommended Journal Article Databases for SCPA Research
- Political Science Complete (EBSCO) - Canadian, American and international journal articles on political science, government and policy topics
- ProQuest Combined Canadian - Canadian journal articles, newspapers, current events & theses on social science topics
- PAIS International (ProQuest) - International and American journal articles on social sciences topics related to public policy, administration, and legislation
- IPSA: International Political Science Abstracts (EBSCO) - from the International Political Science Association, international journal articles in political science
- SocINDEX - Sociology journal articles
- HeinOnline Law Journal Library - journal articles in American, Canadian and international law topics
- Google Scholar - multidisciplinary journal articles
Peer review/Scholarly Journals: What is peer review and how do I find peer reviewed articles?
Newspapers & Current Events
- Canadian Newsstream - Canadian English daily newspapers, including the Globe & Mail, Montreal Gazette, Toronto Star, National Post and many regional and local papers.
- Eureka.cc - Canadian/Quebec newspapers and magazines in French and English, includes La Presse, Le Devoir, and L'Actualité.
- CPI.Q: Canadian Periodical Index - English and French language journals and magazines, Canadian focus.
- US Newsstream - Major US daily newspapers, including The New York Times, Washington Post, Wall street journal, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun Times, Boston Globe, LA Times, USA Today and many more regional and local newspapers.
- International Newsstream - news content from outside the U.S. and Canada, in multiple languages including English, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, and Danish, See the Title List.
- Historical Newspapers - Canada, US and international
- The Hill Times - weekly newspaper that covers Canadian federal politics.
Background sources: scholarly encyclopedias and more
Information by topic
Canadian political science websites
- Canadian Politics & Government Information (Library and Archives Canada)
- Canadian Interest Groups & Think Tanks (Queen's University Library)
- Canadian Defence & Foreign Affairs Institute
- Centre for International Policy Studies (uOttawa)
- Public Policy Forum - an independent, non-governmental organization improving the quality of government in Canada through dialogue among leaders
- Institute for Research on Public Policy - independent, national, bilingual organization researching Canadian policy
- POLTEXT - collection of textual data sources used for policy analysis in Canada (ULaval) English & French
- Political Database of the Americas centralized information about institutions, political processes, national constitutions, branches of government, elections, political constitutional studies of the Americas (Georgetown University)
SCPA 201 - Public Policy and the Public Interest
Community Economic Development (CED/DEC) - Sources
- Background Sources in CED
- Article Databases & E-Journals in CED
- CDEC du Quebec (Français)
- The Canadian CED Network/Le reseau canadien de DEC
Political Science, Government Publications, School of Community and Public Affairs & First Peoples Studies Librarian
Consultations available via email and Zoom, contact me for an appointment.
Contact me for subject-specific research assistance, for library instruction, or to recommend books. But, if your research question can't wait OR for general reference support ...TRY our: