Writing for Children
Signal your interest
Course CodeCEJN 118
Once upon a time someone realized that children's stories didn't have to start with those four words, that there was more to children's writing than fairy tales. And that's just one of the things you'll learn for yourself in this course. You'll also learn about writing for different age groups, in different styles, with different intents. You'll learn about what it takes to write a book and get it published. Most of all, you'll hone your skills as a writer with hands-on assignments that might just help you reconnect with your inner child. And from that point on, you'll live happily ever after.
There are no upcoming dates at this time.
Your takeawaysThis course is a great way to help you:
• Identify the forms and types of writing for various age groups of children;
• Identify strategies for navigating the children’s publishing world;
• Identify the processes by which books for children are conceived, published, and marketed;
• Create your own picture book or chapter book from brainstorming through to completion;
• Critique your own and other students’ work within the context of in-class workshops;
• Manage and adhere to deadlines.
Our approachThis is a writing class, so you'll be doing a lot of it. You'll also learn through interactive workshops, exercises, group discussions, and assignments. Enthusiastic participation, peer evaluation and effort are the keys to enjoyment and success in this course. This course is designed for the students to meet regularly during live synchronous learning in an online virtual classroom (Zoom).
Who benefits the most?• Anyone who wants to improve their writing skills.
• Anyone considering a career as a writer for children.
• Writers who want to learn how to write for a young audience.
• Parents to want to write stories for their own children.
• Foreign students who want to improve their written English.
• Retirees or busy executives who want to try something new to balance out their lives.
• Anyone with a story to tell.