ROMTRA research activities
The ROMTRA research activities connected to the Jean Monnet Chair focus on the multiple roles of translation in the minority, multilingual Romani context.
These consist of two workshops and one summer institute taking place over the course of the Jean Monnet Chair (2020–2023).
These events bring together Romani and translation expertise and experience, with the objective of mutual knowledge-sharing and support for the diverse types of translation needs in the Romani context.
Romani Language and Translation Workshop
The first ROMTRA workshop focused on Romani language and culture through the perspective of translation and laid the foundation for development of a practical handbook on translation in diverse Romani contexts. Speakers included Dr. Ian F. Hancock, FRSA, OBE; Dr. Hristo Kyuchukov and Dr. Hedina Tahirović-Sijerčić.
The ROMTRA project website
The ROMTRA project website will be created and maintained to host the outcomes of the pre-planned research activities and events.
They include, among others:
- Romani translation handbook, version 1
- Romani translator questionnaires and oral interviews
- Pedagogical translation corpora for Romani and other languages
- Romani student translations and subtitled audio-video excerpts
- Launch of the first “Ronald Lee Translator Award”
- Framework for a Code of Ethics for Translators and Interpreters in Romani contexts
For more information, contact ROMTRA@concordia.ca.
The European Commission's support for the production of this publication does not constitute an endorsement of the contents, which reflect the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.