1-30 August 2015
Compiled by Caitlin Murphy
All articles translated from Russian, unless otherwise indicated*
"Situation Stable: Conflict between citizens of Kazakhstan and Tajikistan at border" Kabar.kg 3 August 2015
- The conflict began when citizens of Tajikistan blocked the road to citizens of Kyrgyzstan whereby certain Kyrgyz visit a cemetery where relatives are buried.
- In response, Kyrgyz citizens blocked water from a canal that flows downstream into Tajikistan
- The events culminated in about 120 Tajiks and 80 Kyrgyz pelting stones at each other across the border.
- The situation has been reported by Kyrgyz officials as stable.
"Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan will exchange 20 acres near border" 24.kg 12 August 2015
- The delimitation and demarcation of borders will be done in consultation with local authorities and residents
- This move is a direct response to the violent incidents that took place at the border in Bakten on 3-4 August 2015.
"Kyrgyz Border Guard Wounded on Tajik Border" RFE/RL 10 August 2015
- The incident occurred when Kyrgyz border guards in the southern Batten region tried to prevent an illegal border crossing by 15 Tajik nationals.
- A shot was fired from Tajikistan hitting a Kyrgyz border guard in the leg.
"Rally held in memory of the beginning of the Bakten campaign in 1999" VB.kg 11 August 2015
- Members of the public and military representatives laid flowers at the memorial site for the events in Bakten that took place from 1999-2001
- The site is in memorial to Kyrgyz soldiers of Bakten who died defending Kyrgyzstan’s Southern border from Uzbek and IMU insurgents.