Writing Your Memoir
Check Upcoming Dates
Course CodeCEJN 134
Memoirs aren't just for people in the final chapters of their lives. If you're old enough to be in this course, you've lived through a lot. You have a story that's unique, one that deserves to be written for posterity... or maybe for a publisher with an audience eager to learn from your experiences. Either way, this is your chance to read and write in the memoir genre. By the end of the course, you'll have one polished, publication-ready piece of non-fiction, narrative autobiography. And that's something to tell the world about.
Your takeawaysThis course is a great way to help you:
• Write a compelling story about your own life based on a particular angle;
• Properly employ various literary devices and techniques;
• Create believable characters and dialogue;
• Use descriptive language;
• Plot a longer piece using a narrative arc;
• Format your writing for submission to publishers/agents/editors, including a query letter and an outline;
• Critique your work and your classmates work thoughtfully and constructively.
Our approachThis is a writing class, so you'll be doing a lot of it. You'll also learn through interactive workshops, exercises, group discussions, and assignments. Enthusiastic participation and effort are the keys to enjoyment and success in this course. This course is designed for the students to meet regularly during live synchronous learning in an online virtual classroom (Zoom).
Who benefits the most?• Anyone who wants to improve their writing skills.
• Anyone considering a career as a writer.
• Fiction writers who want to learn how to write in a new format.
• Advertising copywriters who want to branch out into other forms of writing.
• Retirees who want to share the story of their lives.
• Foreign students who want to improve their written English.
• Anyone with a story to tell.