Check Upcoming Dates
Course CodeCEJN 122
Not everything in print is black and white. Nuance, personal point of view and interpretation can all colour creative non-fiction, the form used in personal essays, reportages and the like. In this course, you'll use close observation of real events to explore techniques of the genre like narrative structure, character development, scene-setting and dialogue. Most of all, you'll focus on developing vision, your creativity and your personal voice, which are all essential to capturing your reader's attention. Have we got yours? Thought so.
January 16 – March 19, 2024
Tu 18:00 – 21:00
Your takeawaysThis course is a great way to help you:
• Employ elements of the genre, including scene-setting, description, dialogue, and narrative arc;
• Explore the publication market for creative non-fiction through in-class presentations of publications or genres;
• Critique your own and other students’ work within the context of in-class workshops;
• Conceive, plot, develop and write one significant piece of writing in one of the many sub-genres of creative non-fiction, with potential for publication;
• Manage and adhere to deadlines;
Our approachThis is a writing class, so you'll be doing a lot of it. You'll also learn through interactive workshops, exercises, group discussions, and assignments. Enthusiastic participation and effort are the keys to enjoyment and success in this course. This course is designed for the students to meet regularly during live synchronous learning in an online virtual classroom (Zoom).
Who benefits the most?• Anyone who wants to improve their writing skills.
• Anyone considering a career as a writer.
• Anyone considering a career in journalism.
• Fiction writers who want to learn how to write in a new format.
• Advertising copywriters who want to branch out into other forms of writing.
• Foreign students who want to improve their written English.
• Retirees or busy executives who want to try something new to balance out their lives.
• Anyone with a story to tell.