Concordia University Records Management and Archives offers a path through Concordia’s architectural heritage. Our timeline highlights the growth of our downtown and Loyola campuses.
The Montreal YMCA leaves rented space and opens its first building (now demolished) on Victoria Square.
The YMCA opens its new building on Dominion Square, on the site of the present Sun Life Building.
On January 5, the Jesuit community purchases the Decary farm, the land on which Loyola was later built. The property contains a melon patch and apple orchard.
The YMCA moves to its new building on Drummond Street. It includes a pool and gym.
Construction begins at Loyola. The first phase ends in 1916 with the completion of the Refectory and Psychology Buildings, as well as the beginnings of the Administration Building.
One storey is added to the central body of the Administration Building, and two storeys are added to each of the wings, for a uniform three storeys.
The Arena/Rink for Loyola College officially opens in January.
Work on the Administration Building is completed with the addition of the top two storeys and the main tower.
A 12-storey annex on Stanley Street is added to the Drummond Street building.
The Loyola Chapel is built adjacent to the Administration Building.
An addition to the arena and rink is built as a COTC (Canadian Officers Training Corps) drill hall. This becomes a cafeteria in 1946.
The first storey of the Central Building is occupied in 1945; the building is completed in 1947.
The first building constructed especially for SGWU is inaugurated. In 1964 it is named the Kenneth E. Norris Building.
A sixth floor is added to the Norris Building to accommodate the library, which moves from the adjacent YMCA Building.
The Drummond Science Building opens its doors, featuring state-of-the-art classrooms and laboratories, and a science library.
Hingston Hall opens in April, the first building on campus primarily devoted to a student residence. In the fall, the Vanier Library opens.
Opening of the Hall Building. SGWU separates financially from the YMCA. The settlement stipulates that the YMCA owns the Norris Building and SGWU owns the Hall Building.
A new Athletic Complex opens on the south side of Sherbrooke Street.
Buildings on Mackay and Bishop Street are bought with an eye to future expansion in the area of the Hall Building.
The Bryan Building opens to house the newly created Department of Communications Arts, the Department of Psychology, and some Biology facilities.
The long-awaited Campus Centre opens.
SGW and Loyola merge to create Concordia University.
Concordia leases the Bishop Court Building to house administrative offices.
Bishop Court is classified as a historical monument by the ministère des Affaires culturelles on April 22 but it is not limited to use as residential housing.
The SGW component of the Faculty of Commerce (now the John Molson School of Business) leaves the Norris Building and moves into rented facilities in the GM Building.
Victoria School on de Maisonneuve Boulevard is rented and renovated to provide SGW facilities for Athletics & Recreation and Continuing Education.
In 1979 some of the Fine Arts Faculty moves into the newly renovated Visual Arts (VA) Building. Renovations are completed and it is officially opened in 1980.
Concordia purchases Bishop Court.
Major expansion and renovation of the Vanier Library doubles the shelf capacity.
The Concert Hall opens on the east end of the Campus. In 1999 it is named in honour of jazz great Oscar Peterson.
The J. W. McConnell Building is opened, the first new building project for Concordia University. It includes the R. Howard Webster Library.
Concordia buys the Faubourg Ste-Catherine tower building into which move Continuing Education, and later the Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema.
Concordia buys the land at the southwest corner of Guy and de Maisonneuve. In 1998, in collaboration with the City of Montreal, Concordia makes it temporarily a green space.
Concordia buys the York Theatre Building.
Concordia buys the GM Building in which the Faculty of Commerce (now the John Molson School of Business) is concentrated.
Concordia develops a long-term master building plan to be phased in over many years. The downtown campus is to be consolidated into “Quartier Concordia”.
Concordia develops a long-term master building plan to be phased in over many years. A Science complex and renovation of selected facilities are planned for the Loyola campus.
The York Theatre is demolished.
The Richard J. Renaud Science Complex is inaugurated. The new building wraps around and is integrated with the completely renovated Bryan Building.
Inauguration of the Engineering, Computer Science and Visual Arts Integrated Complex.
Inauguration of the John Molson School of Business Building.
Grey Nuns property in Montreal named historic site.
© Concordia University