Richard J. Renaud Science Pavilion
The Richard J. Renaud Science Pavilion was officially inaugurated September 22, 2003. Ground-breaking for the new building was on June 15, 2001, part of a major revitalization of the Loyola Campus, and an important part of the late 1990s master space plan for Concordia.
The $85 million pavillion wraps around and integrates the Bryan Building, which has been renovated for faculty offices and teaching facilities. It completes the west side of the campus quadrangle, although not quite as it was envisioned in the architect’s master plan of 1913. It completely changes the face of the west side of the campus. The complex houses the natural sciences and has laboratories and graduate student space. There is also a new Biology greenhouse with adjacent incubators adapted for current research needs. These purpose-built science facilities are an important upgrade of what were aging installations for research and teaching, creating one of the top natural sciences university facilities in Canada. The Pavilion is named after Loyola graduate, philanthropist, and long-time Loyola and Concordia supporter Richard J. Renaud. The building is considered green architecture, part of the move to sustainable development. The mechanical systems consume less than 70 percent of the energy required to maintain similar traditional buildings.