Show Girls: Celebrating Montreal's Legendary Black Jazz Scene
Online Resources & Tools
Our Dance of Revolution
Dope is Death
Search for more films at Concordia.
- Black Canadian Studies.com
Website created by Professor Charmaine Nelson as both a resource for Black Canadian Studies and a space for shared future research agendas and productions.
- Black Lives Canada Syllabus // #BlackLivesCDNSyllabus (BLCS)
A collection of multiple resources to help illuminate the context of Black life and Black history in Canada because “crowd-sourced syllabi are acts of resistance.”
Canadian University Library Guides & Reading Lists
- Black Lives Matter Reading List - University of Waterloo
- Black Canadian Studies - Research Guide from Dalhousie University, Halifax
- Black Studies - University of Alberta
- Black Canadian Studies - University of Toronto
- Black Studies - Toronto Metropolitan University
- African Diaspora - Simon Fraser University
- Celebrating Black Narratives - University of Guelph
- Black Studies - Queen's University Library
Concordia University's Black Perspectives Office (BPO) resources, supports, connects, and advocates for Black communities, perspectives, initiatives, and scholarship at Concordia.
Black Studies' programs offered across Canada:
- James Robinson Johnston Chair in Black Canadian Studies - Dalhousie University
- Black Studies - Queen's University
- Certificate in Black Canadian Studies - University College, University of Toronto
- Black Canadian Studies Certificate - York University
- Black Canadian Studies - University of Guelph
- Black Studies Institute - University of Windsor
- Academic Programming in Black Studies - University of Waterloo
- Minor in Black Studies - Western University
- Black Research Network (BRN)- University of Toronto
- Black Faculty Collective - University of Waterloo
- Africa and Black Diaspora Studies - McMaster University
- podcast: Beyond, Outside, and Within: Black Studies and the University
- African Studies - New College, University of Toronto
- African Studies - Carleton University
- African Studies Option - University of Ottawa
- African Studies - Trent University
- African Studies - McGill University
- Minor in Africana Studies - Brock University
- African Studies - Simon Fraser University
- African Studies - University of Calgary
- Bilingual Minor in African Studies - University of Regina
- Centre for Caribbean Studies - New College, University of Toronto
- Caribbean Studies Certificate - Toronto Metropolitan University
- 1969 Sir George Williams University student protest: Educational Resources
Articles and scholarly journals, books and chapters, dissertations, movies and websites about Canada’s largest student protest against anti-Black racism at Concordia's Henry F. Hall Building. The website also includes historical context, a timeline and more.
- Digital Library of the Caribbean - A cooperative of partners from in the United States, the Caribbean, Canada, and Europe providing users with access to Caribbean cultural, historical and research materials held in archives, libraries, and private collections.
- Umbra Search - Extensive primary source collection about African American History. Hosted at University of Minnesota, but includes primary sources from and relating to Canada.
- Quebec's Caribbean Histories - a popular education project about Caribbean communities in Quebec.
- Centre for the Study of Black Canadian Diaspora - Making works of contemporary Black artists, craftspeople, curators, and critics in Canada visible, at the Ontario College of Art & Design University (OCAD)
- Black History in Canada - Research guide from Libraries and Archives Canada with instructions for researching family history and genealogy of Black people in Canada.
- York University - Black and African-Caribbean Community in Canada - Online exhibition about Caribbean and Black community organizations and culture in Toronto, Ontario, and Canada.
- Black History in Canada Collection - Canadian Encyclopedia Online. Timeline and featured articles around themes such as Black Female Freedom Fighters, as well as individual biographies on prominent historical figures.
- Black Livers Matter Canada - Fighting for justice & liberation for Black communities and individuals from coast to coast to coast. See also Black Lives Matter Montreal.
- #Blacklivesmatter Web Archive (Internet Archive) - Web archive created by the Internet Archive between 2014 and 2016, focusing on police violence against and police killings of Black Americans, and responding demonstrations and activism.
- Vancouver Public Library resource guide on Hogan’s Alley - Subject guide about Hogan's Alley community including a video and lists of online resources and related books.
- Black History Month Resources List - Guide from the Royal Alberta Museum on resources about Black History in Alberta, including blod posts, podcasts, films, and books.
- Celebrating Esmeralda Thornhill - Black educator and human rights advocate, creator of Concordia's first Black Women's Studies course, honoured by the Simone de Beauvoir Institute in November 2023. CBC broadcast - City News broadcast
- African Canadian Online - From the Centre for the Study of Black Cultures in Canada at York University. This site provides information on African Canadian artists and their work, links to other Canadian resources on the web, and updates about the activities of the Centre.
- Directory of artists - Provided by byblacks.com, a listings of and links to Black Canadian actors, authors, comedians, dancers, directors, DJs, models, musicians, poets/spoken word artists, singers and visual artists.
Selection of Writings of Robyn Maynard: Black feminist writer, activist and educator - Website of Robyn Maynard, Canadian writer and activist, author of "Policing Black Lives"
- Selected Writings of Sandy Hudson - Website of Sandy Hudson, Canadian activist and thinker, co-host of podcast "Sandy and Nora Talk Politics"
- Blackity, curated by Joana Joachim at Artexte - this online exhibition the trajectory of contemporary Black Canadian art as witnessed by Artexte’s collection between the 1970s and the 2010s...tracing a temporal cartography of Black Canadian art history
- Notable Black Canadians - List of notable Black Canadians as provided by Blackmontreal.com, with links to more information about each figure
- Cite Black Authors - searchable, user-curated database of work authored by Black academics.
- Cite Black Women - a campaign to push people to engage in a radical praxis of citation that acknowledges and honors Black women’s transnational intellectual production.
- Black Perspectives Office (BPO) resources, supports, connects, and advocates for Black communities, perspectives, initiatives, and scholarship at Concordia.
- NouLa Centre for Black Students offers resources, services, and programming for Concordi students from Black communities, and bridges access with internal units and external organizations that can support Black student success and wellness.
- Black Mental Health Connections Montreal (BMHC MTL) an alliance of organizations and individuals focused on the mental health and well-being of the English-speaking Black community in Montreal. We help our community by developing and offering services that spark bottom-up social change.
- Black Healing Centre - a physcial healing space for Black People in Montreal.
- Union United Church Montreal - Canada's oldest black congregation, and activ community partner.
- Diversity Portal - Black Community - List of organizations, services and projects serving the Black community in Toronto and beyond, maintained by Toronto Metropolitan University
- ACSioN Network of Canada - amplifies the creative leadership potential of students and young professionals from the African diaspora, through culturally-intelligent programs and services.