9-15 May 2016
Compiled by Berta Fürstová
- Kigali requests extradition of the senior FDLR leader arrested in DRC
- Another FDLR commander escaped from DRC to Rwanda
1. Kigali requests extradition of the senior FDLR leader arrested in DRC
Private but pro-government newspapers
“Govt seeks extradition of Genocide suspect from DR Congo” by Rodrigue Rwirahira. New Times, 13th May 2016
- National Public Prosecution Authority (NPPA) is set to send an extradition request to the government of DR Congo requesting the transfer to Rwanda of a senior FDLR leader, Brig. Gen. Leopord Mujyambere, who was recently arrested in the DRC.
- Mujyambere faces charges of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes. He is supposed to have been a captain in the defunct Rwanda Army Force (ex-FAR) during the 1994 Genocide.
- He is also said to have been part of the deadly attacks by infiltrators, best known locally as abacengezi, in the late 1990s through early 2000s during which many people were killed.
- Faustin Nkusi, the NPPA spokesperson, said that Rwanda has no extradition treaty with DR Congo but both countries have a legal framework under which such issues are handled.
2. Another FDLR commander escaped from DRC to Rwanda
Private news agency
“Another FDLR commander escapes from DRC to Rwanda” by Syldio Sebuharara. KT Press, 15th May 2016
- Rwanda has received another FDLR commander after he escaped from his base in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Maj. Jean Claude Ntagisanimana arrived on May 12, with two of his children but his wife and other children remained in the DRC.
- He was in charge of Civilian-military coordination (S5) in the FDLR Reserves brigade based in Mweso, Masisi in the DRC.
- “I felt it was right time for me to return home. I have lived in the forests for a long period. I encourage my colleagues in the FDLR to leave the jungles and come home,” Ntagisanimana said.
- He also told KT Press that upon realizing that he had not reported for duty, the FDLR combatants raided his home in Masisi and searched his house. They took money from his home and shot his wife injuring her hand. She is reportedly admitted at a health center.
- His defection follows other recent escapes by high ranking FDLR commanders including; Col. Fulgence aka Bemba, Col. Gérard Ntibibaza, Col. Desire Habamungu, Col. Augustin Nsengiyumva and Brig. Gen. Leopord Mujyambere.