24 - 30 August 2015
Compiled by Berta Fürstová
- Constitution amendment: Bill setting up Constitutional Commission passed by both chambers of Parliament
1. Constitution amendment: Bill setting up Constitutional Commission passed by both chambers of Parliament
Private but pro-government newspapers.
New Times, 28th August 2015. “Senate passes law establishing constitutional review commission” by Eugene Kwibuka
- Senators unanimously passed a Bill determining the set-up, regulation and mandate of the commission that will help technically amend the Constitution to enable President Kagame run for his third term after 2017. The Bill was already passed by the Lower Chamber last week.
- “We are happy that the senators passed the Bill. The Bill will now be sent to the Prime Minister’s Office,” said senator Musabyimana.
- Senator Karangwa “support this Bill without any reservations.”
- Senator Gallican Niyongana concurred on fast-tracking the enactment of the Bill into law.
3. FDLR teaming up with Imbonerakure in Burundi, says ICGLR report
Private but pro-government newspapers
New Times, 9th August 2015. “ICGLR to consider report on alleged presence of FDLR in Burundi” by James Karuhanga
- A verification report on the alleged presence of the FDLR in Burundi was presented to members of the ICGLR by the Expanded Joint Verification Mechanism (EJVM).
- Unconfirmed reports indicated that the FDLR militia was teaming up with Imbonerakure, a youth wing of Burundi’s ruling party in harassing and attacking members of opposition political parties.
- According to various reports, FDLR elements were posing as police officers. Burundi government officials have publically denied claims that FDLR militia are operating in Bujumbura.
- The Executive Secretary of the ICGLR, Prof. Ntumba Luaba, is reported to have informed the Chairman of the ICGLR Regional Inter-Ministerial Committee, Georges R. Chicoti, on the military operations against the FDLR.