June 29-July 5, 2015
Media Monitoring Report for Rwanda (June 29-July 5, 2015)
Posted on July 10, 2015
Compiled by Berta Fürstová
- Hollande reminded Kagame to respect human rights; Kagame irked
1. Hollande reminded Kagame to respect human rights; Kagame irked
Private independent newspapers
News of Rwanda, 4th July 2015
“Kagame Rubbishes Hollande’s ‘Condescending’ Letter” by Gahiji Innocent
- France’s President Francois Hollande sent a letter to Rwanda’s President Paul Kagame wishing him a good 21st Liberation Anniversary, but reminded Kagame that despite the development and progress he has made, he should remember to “respect human rights”.
- Kagame who was disturbed by the letter, told that the motivation of such a behaviour is rooted from Western arrogance and neocolonialism. “They support bad leadership and protect the killers…now they have the courtesy to remind me rights?…after all, for me, the rights and independence we need is to fight those who dictate to us what we want,” he said.
- “Instead of partnering with us to fight terrorism …you are instead terrorising me?” Kagame wondered. “We cant accept that. We will not allow to be terrorised. We need dignity and mutual respect.” Kagame added: ,,The war of bullets was won, but now there is another war to fight; the war for dignity.”