24-30 June 2016
Compiled by Caroline Johnpulle
- MONUSCO researches the security situation in North Kivu
- UNICEF: Report on children in the DRC, decrease in child mortality and education
- Ituri: Two dead in attacks by the FRPI in Kiboba
1. MONUSCO researches the security situation in North Kivu
(Agence Congolaise Presse, government-owned news agency, article dated 29 Juin 2016 in French) Une mission de la MONUSCO au Nord-Kivu pour s’enquérir de la situation dans le « Grand Nord »
- A delegation from MONUSCO, led by Deputy Representative for Operations in the East, David Gressly and General Derrick Ngwebi, visited North Kivu from 27 – 28 June.
- The trip was conducted to inquire on the security situation in the North, to increase protection on civilians.
2. UNICEF: Report on children in the DRC, decrease in child mortality and education
(Agence Congolaise Presse, government-owned news agency, article dated 29 Juin 2016 in French) Publication du rapport de l’UNICEF sur « la situation des enfants dans le monde »
- According to the report, the DRC has experienced a significant reduction (30%) of the mortality of children under five years old.
- However, millions of children still have no access to school, steadily moving from one in two children in 2001 to more than four in ten children today.
3. Ituri: Two dead in attacks by the FRPI in Kiboba
(Radio-Okapi, independent/privately-owned newspaper, article dated 28 June 2016, in French) Ituri: deux morts lors d’une attaque des miliciens FRPI à Kiboba
- Militia army, FRPI launched an attack against the Congolese army in the village of Kigoba in the Walendu Bindi (Ituri).
- Two people are reported dead, including one militia and military soldier.