ASGM L082_9Y19C Maison mère, Ciergerie et atelier des hosties, 1930.
The Grey Nuns did much of their work in the multi-purpose corridor running along the upper floors of the Guy Street wing. Their production changed over the years, but at one time the Mother House contained workshops devoted to sewing vestments, manufacturing wax figurines and candles, and making wafers for mass services. The sisters also ran large printing presses and a bindery shop here, taking on commissions to generate income for the community.
From this shop originated all of the printed material – leaflets, hymn books – sent out to the order’s branches around the world.
ASGM L082_9Y21D Maison mère, Imprimerie, s.d.
“As there were many sisters, some left in the morning to work outside the convent. Others stayed here and spent a lot of their day in the workshops.”
Sister Cécile Castonguay
The university converted the hall into modern residence dorm rooms. Splashes of colour were added to the ceilings of the wing’s hallways, making it easier to distinguish floors of the otherwise white corridors. With high-speed Wi-Fi, plenty of desk space and a common room designated for quiet study, students carry on their own hard work in the spirit of the sisters who laboured here for many decades.