Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions

I am applying for the MEng program at CIISE as an international student. Would you please verify whether the CIISE is an independent institute in collaboration with Concordia University or it belongs individually to Concordia as a Faculty or College member?

The Concordia Institute for Information Systems Engineering (CIISE) is a department within the Gina Cody School of Engineering and Computer Science at Concordia University.  Individuals graduating from our programs will obtain a Master in Engineering (course option) or a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (for thesis students) from Concordia University.

What is the difference between the MEng and the MASc programs?

The difference between the MASc (thesis-based option) and MEng (course-based option) is the THESIS component.  Students enrolled in the thesis program must carry out research in a certain topic and defend their theses at the end of their program.

I was wondering what the educational requirement was for your Master’s programs? Must one have a bachelor's of engineering or computer science?

The admission requirement for the above program is a Bachelor degree in Engineering or Computer Science, with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 or equivalent.  Students applying to the Information Systems Security program must also have a solid knowledge of software engineering/development.

I am interested in a Master’s program in the area of Information Systems Security. I have been looking at the MEng and MASc information systems security programs. I was unable to see the requirements.  What are they?

Our basic requirements for admission into a Master’s degree or a Graduate Certificate program are:

  • a four-year or equivalent of bachelor's degree in Engineering or Computer Science
  • an equivalent CGPA of 3.00 or higher

C Rule
  • Students who receive more than one C grade during the course of their studies shall be withdrawn from the program.
F Rule
  • Students who receive an F grade in the course of their studies shall be withdrawn from the program
GPA Graduation Requirement
  • In order to graduate, students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00

What are the deadlines to apply to the program for permanent residents and Canadians?

The deadlines are as follows:

  • February 1st - Summer term (May/June)
  • June 1st - Fall term (September)
  • October 1st - Winter term (January)

What is the deadline for international student applications to apply to Quality Systems Engineering (QSE) and Information Systems Security (ISS) programs?

The application deadlines for international students are as follows:

  • October 15 - Summer term (May/June)
  • February 15 - Fall term (September)
  • June 15th - Winter term (January)

How do I pay the application fees?

Please visit Concordia admissions for complete details.

I am applying to Concordia University for the MEng program in Information Systems Security.  I have doubts regarding the application process.

The departments do not have access to look into your application process. Only the Admissions Office has access to this.  

My address in the online system is incorrect.  How do I edit this?

You can edit your student profile, i.e. change of address, email, etc., online. Use the link provided here, or manage your personal info via the Student Hub's My CU Account page.

When can I enter the master’s program?

The three admission sessions for the Master's degree are Fall, Winter and Summer sessions.  Admission into Graduate Certificate programs is every Fall session.

Regarding the CO-OP option (MASc), does the work period cover the expenses of the program including basic living costs?

The Co-op option does not cover the expenses of the program and living expenses. The company will pay you for the duration of your work term. There is a $150 CDN fee to be in the Co-op program. Please visit the Institute for Co-operative Education.

What are my options for covering my expenses while studying? Does admission provide some form of financial income?  

You may apply for scholarships and awards each semester.  However there are competitions for these awards. Please consult the Financial Aid and Awards Office.

What are the requirements for the Co-op program?

The Institute for Co-operative Education Program is open to thesis program students.  It is the same as a regular thesis program, with work study components.  Once you have completed four out of five courses you may contact the Graduate Program Assistant to apply for the Co-op program. A minimum GPA of 3.2 is required to enter this program.  The work study component is usually two terms, depending on the employer.

What does “class division” mean, found in the Gina Cody School of Engineering and Computer Science assessment form in the on-line admission application?

Class division is a grading system used throughout many countries including Middle Eastern countries, India, Pakistan, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Parts of Canada and England.  Please disregard if this is not pertinent to your application.

Deferral Procedures for PhD and MASc (thesis-based) programs:

  • Please view the deferral form
  • Kindly complete the form, indicating your reason for deferral, date and sign.  Please ensure that your supervisor confirms your request for deferral.
  • If you need to defer your admission to a later term you will be asked for documented proof of a Visa delay. You may defer ONE time within a calendar year.
  • Once completed, send the scanned copy to
  • Please DO NOT confirm the admission offer; it will delay your deferral request.
  • There is no fee for this request.


Deferral Procedures for MEng (course-based) programs:

  • Please view the deferral form
  • If you are unable to obtain your Study Permit, you may submit a deferral request. Please refer to your offer letter for the contact person, no later than your term start date.
  • If you need to defer your admission to a later term you will be asked for documented proof of a Visa delay.  You may defer ONE time within a calendar year.
  • Once completed, send the scanned copy to
  • Please DO NOT confirm the admission offer; it will delay your deferral request.
  • There is no fee for this request.

Documents to Attach for online Application Form
For my on-line application form, it allows me to attach the following documents.  Can you tell me which one is mandatory for a master's program in CIISE?

To apply to the Master programs in Information Systems Security (ISS) or Quality Systems Engineering (QSE), you will need to attach the following documents:

  • Your transcript
  • Permanent Residency Card (PR Card)
  • Statement of Purpose, CV/ Resume
  • Canadian Citizenship Card (if applicable)
  • Quebec Birth Certificate or Baptismal Certificate (if applicable)
  • If you are an International student and have not studied in English, then you may need to take the TOEFL test.
What documents do I need to submit with my application?

Please find below the list of documents that you need to submit with your application:

  • Statement of Purpose (maximum 500 words)
  • Official language and translation of transcript
  • Official language and translation of diploma/certificate
  • Three letters of recommendation (attach Gina Cody School of Engineering and Computer Science academic assessment form to each letter).
  • Updated CV/resume
  • TOEFL iBT score of 85 with a minimum of 20 in each section, or IELTS band score of 6.5 (for international students and permanent residents less than two years).

Is the Master’s program a one year or a two year program?

The Master's program is a minimum of two years.

What is the duration of the Master’s programs?

The minimum duration of the Master’s program is two years (or six semesters) (Summer [May- August], Fall [September-December] and Winter [January-April]).

As for the Graduate certificate, it is a program that may be completed in one year (Fall [September-December] and Winter [January-April]).

Before registration: a student must obtain written consent of a faculty member who will act as a supervisor for the 5-credit project.

Register for the course: ENGR 6991

Project Report Requirements:

The project may consist of:

  • A theoretical and/or experimental study of an engineering problem.
  • A design and/or development research project conducted at CIISE.
  • A comprehensive literature review on an appropriate topic in information systems engineering.

Due date: a report is due on the last day of classes of the term in which a student is registered in ENGR 6991.

A copy of the report must be attached to the grade submission form by your project supervisor.

I have been granted admission to the Graduate program (Master of Applied Science) in Information Systems Security at Concordia University, as a full-time student for the Fall term beginning September. I would like to know if the Department can grant me the funding because I have heard that full time students can get full funding.

There is no full funding per se.  However, please note that full-time students are eligible to apply for University scholarships.  These competitions are open to all full-time students. Please find the link below for more information concerning Financial aid. 

You may also wish to consult the International Student Office website for more information. 

You may also wish to talk to your thesis supervisor for funding opportunities.

The University where I am currently doing my final year in Engineering does not issue official grade sheets/ transcripts of engineering. These can only be requested in the following situations:  misplacing them, lodging a formal police complaint or reporting in a national newspaper. Can Concordia University accept photocopies attested by the Director of my Engineering college?

You may upload your copies of your transcripts and degree certificates; however we still need the original copies. If you are unable to get the original copies you will then need to have your copies notarized.

International Students cannot apply for Independent student status because they will not be allowed to apply for a student Visa, unless they apply to a specific program.

Leaves are granted only to students in good academic standing (CGPA>3.00).

Students cannot be on leave in terms where a course with a DISC notation appears.

Types of Leaves and Fees:

  • Leave without access: a student will not have access to library, university or student services. No fees are charged.
  • Leave with access: granted only under exceptional circumstances. A flat service fee of $150 per term will be charged.
  • Parental leave: up to three consecutive terms. No fees are charged

Does the application process require recommendation letters?

Yes. The application process requires three recommendation letters.
You may find additional, detailed information about selecting referees on the School of Graduate Studies' website.

I have completed my studies. Where do I get a letter attesting to this?

Students need to go to the Birks Student Service Center LB-185 to acquire such a letter.

I am applying to the Master of Engineering (MEng) program in Quality Systems Engineering, should students provide a “Merit certification”?

Students do not need to provide a Merit of certification.

Please print out and complete the registration form in full: I.D., Program, courses (INSE XXXX/4 WW), signature, and email address.

Student may register for a maximum of three courses per semester.

MASc students: courses must be approved by your supervisor PRIOR to registration.

Register for the course:

  • INSE 6961: Graduate Seminar in Information and Systems Engineering.


  • Attend three seminars during the term in which you are registered in INSE 6961
  • Submit three reports of three pages each on three seminars, together with the signed attendance forms
How many seminars do I need to attend for the 1-credit seminar course?

CIISE students wishing to take the 1-credit seminar course INSE 6961 shall attend three seminars during the term in which they are registered in INSE 6961, and then submit a three-page report on each seminar (total of three reports), together with all three signed seminar attendance forms.  These seminars may include MASc and PhD thesis defences. Please check your Gina Cody School of Engineering and Computer Science email regularly for seminar announcements. Note that after attending all the required three seminars, the submission deadline is the last day of classes of the term in which a student is registered in INSE 6961.

Your attendance form will not be signed if you arrive after the seminar has begun. Late arrival is both discourteous and disruptive of the learning of other students.

I'm applying for the Fall session, however, my TOEFL score will not be ready before the application deadline (February 15 for International students). I'm concerned about this, but I'm really interested in applying for Fall.  Is there something that can be done?

You may still send in your TOEFL score after the February 15th deadline. As soon as you obtain your score, upload it and send it to the Admissions Office. As long as they have a copy until the TOEFL Center sends the official one to us.

What is the University’s TOEFL ID number and how would you like the score to be reported?

The University's TOEFL number is 0956-00. The TOEFL Center usually sends us a copy of your score

How to submit my thesis prior to defence?  

You shall submit four or five copies of your thesis:

Without co-supervisor = four copies
With co-supervisor = five copies

by March 18 for Spring Convocation and by August 18 for Fall Convocation:  

  • One copy should be submitted to the Thesis Office in the School of Graduate Studies, located at Annex S - 2145 Mackay.
  • All other three or four copies go to the Graduate Program Assistant (currently Ms. Silvie Pasquarelli).

 The first submission of thesis shall be printed on regular paper and submitted in four or five boxes. You may purchase these boxes from the Concordia Bookstore (~85 cents each box).

How to submit my final thesis after defence?    

You must submit the final version of your thesis electronically (i.e. all modifications completed) by April 15 for Spring Convocation and by September 15 for Fall Convocation.

The electronic submission must be in PDF/a format (archival PDF). For information on how to submit theses, students must log on to Spectrum using their portal name and ID. Follow the instructions using the HELP button. Students will be provided with detailed instructions.

Students must also submit one paper copy of their thesis to the Thesis Office. This copy will not be returned to the student. The Thesis Office will send this copy for microfilming.

Transfer from One Department to Another Department - Current Students
What is the procedure to transfer from one department to another?


To transfer from one department to another department, the student needs to apply on-line and then register for courses. The student should then inform the Graduate Program Coordinator via email that they are transferring. Prior to transferring into the MASc program, the student should ensure that a thesis supervisor has agreed to supervise you prior to transferring.  Concordia University may transfer up to five courses (20 credits), but only marks of B and higher.  Concordia University will only transfer credits, not grades.

For students coming from another university, Concordia University may transfer up to 12 credits.

How much of my expenses will being a TA or an RA cover per year?

Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant positions are not guaranteed. You will need to apply for available TA positions each semester.  You may discuss the possibility of RA funding with your thesis supervisor.  

How much does it cost to join your programs?

Tuition fees may be obtained by going to the following website links

Back to top

© Concordia University