Irish studies subject guide
- Atlantic History (Oxford Bibliographies)
- Cambridge History of Ireland
- Cambridge Social History of Modern Ireland
- Dictionary of Irish Biography
- Irish History Online
- Medieval Studies (Oxford Bibliographies)
- Oxford Handbook of Modern Irish History
- Cambridge Companion to Irish Poets
- The Encylopedia of Twentieth-Century Fiction
- Handbook of the Irish Revival
- Oxford Handbook of Modern Irish Fiction
- Oxford Handbook of Modern Irish Poetry
- Oxford Encyclopedia of British Literature
- Palgrave Handbook of Contemporary Irish Theatre and Performance
- Playography Ireland
Primary source tools
Archives and Special Collections in Irish Libraries
- Digital Repository of Ireland : The Digital Repository of Ireland (DRI) is a national digital repository for Ireland’s humanities, social sciences, and cultural heritage data. You can browse and search across multiple collections from some of the finest Irish institutions.
- Public Record Office of Northern Ireland : PRONI holds public records mainly dating from the formation of Northern Ireland (1921) to the present day. A small number date back to the nineteenth and late eighteenth centuries. PRONI also holds a diverse range of privately deposited records such as letters, journals, diaries, photographs and albums.
- RASCAL: Research and Special Collections Available Locally : RASCAL is an electronic gateway to research resources relating to Ireland. The site can be used to search or browse information about a wide range of research and special collections held in libraries, museums and archives in Ireland and abroad.
- Sources : A National Library of Ireland Database for Irish Research : Contains over 180,000 catalogue records for Irish manuscripts, and for articles in Irish periodicals. Article records give details of the author, the title, and the citation, as well as information about how to access the periodicals in the National Library of Ireland or elsewhere. Manuscript records provide key details about the manuscript including the title, in addition to where it is held and its manuscript number.
Irish language resources
Dictionaries and Grammar
Teanglann -- Dictionary and Language Library. Includes English-Irish and Irish-English dictionaries, as well as a grammar database and a pronunciation database.
Literature in Irish
Journals and Periodicals in Irish
Comhar (JSTOR Ireland. Issues available: 1942-2020) A monthly magazine in the Irish language which covers current affairs, the arts and literature.
Irish Studies Librarian
514-848-2424 ext. 7752
Office hours: By appointment
Contact your subject librarian for research assistance, for library instruction, or to recommend books.
Boost your research skills
Try the Library Research Skills Tutorial.
It's a quick way to learn vital skills for finding the information you need to complete your projects, assignments, and research.