The call number range for Bibles is BS135 - BS198. While most English translations and versions of the Bible are located in the general stacks, a few copies are also kept in the reference collection for consultation. Here are a few major versions:
- Anchor Bible (2008)
- A project of Catholic, Jewish and Protestant scholars, the Yale Anchor Bible offers new translations of the books of the Bible with extensive commentary.
- La Bible (2001)
- Bible. Authorized King James Version (1997)
- La Bible de Jérusalem avec guide de lecture: la Sainte Bible traduite en français sous la direction de l'École biblique de Jérusalem (1979)
- The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (2001)
- The New American Bible. Translated from the original languages, with critical use of all the ancient sources by members of the Catholic Biblical Association of America (1970)
- The New American Standard Bible (1975)
- The New Jerusalem Bible: Saints' devotional edition (2002)
- The New Oxford annotated Bible with the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical books: New Revised Standard Version (2001)
- Revised English Bible (1989) Revised edition of the New English Bible.
Bibles accessible online
Here are some Bibles you can find online, in an electronic, often searchable, format.
- King James Bible (as pusblished by the American Bible Society, searchable)
- Bible Reader App (by the American Bible Society)
- Bible Study Tools (different versions, different languages)
- Lumina (Bible.org, searchable, different versions)
- Bibles (by l’Alliance Biblique Française, in French, searchable)
- Bible en Ligne (by Centre biblique, in French, searchable, offers commentaries and concordances search)
- New Testament Gateway
The New Testament Gateway provides a plethora of Web information about the New Testament and its background. Subject headings include: Greek New Testament, Non-Canonical Christian Texts, Bible Translations and Editions, and Textual criticism.
- The Bible Gateway
BibleGateway.com is a free service for reading and researching scripture online. The study tools section includes Bible commentaries.
- Bible Study Tools on Crosswalk.com
"This well-organized site dedicated to biblical studies has nine main components: Bibles, commentaries, concordances, dictionaries, encyclopedias, lexicons, sermon helps, history, and other resources. All resources are full text and load quickly." (Choice)
- Exegetical Tools (Queen's University)
- The Hebrew Bible, the Tanakh.
There are commentaries on the Bible as a whole, or on particular books or sections of books. To find commentaries using the Sofia Discovery tool, perform a KEYWORD search and enter the word 'commentaries' and a book of the Bible (e.g. bible and commentaries and Acts), or perform a SUBJECT search using Library of Congress Subject Headings, using the format BIBLE NT or BIBLE OT (Old or New Testament), and the particular book of the bible of interest. For example:
- BIBLE COMMENTARIES
- BIBLE N T GOSPELS COMMENTARIES
- BIBLE N T MARK COMMENTARIES
- BIBLE O T JOB
Bibliography of commentaries:
- Bibliographies for biblical research. Supplemental series (2002)
v.1. New Testament commentaries
v.2. Old Testament commentaries
- Anchor Bible (1964-onward)
A project of Catholic, Jewish and Protestant scholars, offering new translations of the books of the Bible with extensive commentary.
- Calvin's New Testament commentaries (1960-onward)
- The Cambridge Bible commentary on the New English Bible (1963-1977)
Full text of the New English Bible, with simple and brief commentary, dispensing with Hebrew or Greek words and strings of biblical references.
- Eerdmans commentary on the Bible (2003)
- The HarperCollins Bible commentary (2000)
- International critical commentary on the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments
A scholarly series of commentaries on individual books of the Bible. Each volume contains a bibliography.
- The New Oxford annotated Bible with the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical books (2001)
- The Oxford Bible commentary (2001)
- Peake's commentary on the Bible (1999)
In addition to commentaries on each book of the Bible, contains over 250 pages of signed general and introductory articles with bibliographies.
- The Women's Bible commentary (1992)
- Word Biblical commentary (1987-onward) [58 v.]