Websites About Journalism
- Canadian Journalism Project
To "promote national discussion about journalism and journalism education as well as to provide a source for news, research, commentary, advice and resources for industry professionals, academics, journalism and media students."
- Le Centre d’études sur les médias
(CEM) is a non-profit research centre on Canadian media (includes information in French and some English)
- Observatoire du journalism
- Solutions Journalism Network
Provides isses and training resources for practicing solutions journalism
- Constructive Institute: journalism for tomorrow
Information and resources on constructive journalism practice
- Data Journalism (Global Investigative Journalism Network)
A portal site with links to key resources on data journalism
- Centre for Media Engagement
Provides research and techniques for engaging digital news audiences
- Reuters Institute for Digital News (annual report on digital news, latest 2018)
- Educationshift: moving journalism education forward
From Mediashift resources for journalism education
- Reporting in Indigenous Communities (guidance and educational resources for journalists)
- The Journalist's Resource — Know Your Research
Tip sheets and explainers to help journalists understand academic research methods, find and recognize high-quality research, and avoid missteps when reporting on new studies and public opinion polls
- The Trust Project
Initiative for fostering trust in news, with a focus on transparency, accuracy, inclusion and fairness. Promotes eight trust indicators and provides newsroom and classroom resources.
- MediaLaws Database (IPI's database of laws for different countries with respect to journalism issues)
- Mindset Reporting on Mental Health
- Journalists for Human Rights
"Empowering journalists to cover human rights stories objectively and effectively."
See also:Canadian Broadcasting
- Canadian Media Concentration Research Project
Provides media industry data for Canadian media industries including news media
- Final Report on the Canadian News Media
Standing Senate Committee on Transport and Communication (June 2006). Volume 2 includes statistics on ownership and market for Canadian newspapers, magazines, radio and television.
- News Media Canada
A joint initiative of the Canadian Newspaper Association and the Candian Community Newspapers Association. Presents circulation data, and Snapshot an annual report on the industry.
Provides sample readership statistics on Canadian print media (formerly known as Print Measurement Bureau)
- Journalism.org: Project for Excellence in Journalism
Provides archival and current data and statistics on U.S. news media and stories. The focus is on content analysis of news, and there are weekly indexes of stories covered in different media. Provides analysis of trends, issues and reporting. Publishes an annual report, available on the website, The State of the News Media, from 2004 to 2017. Originally affliated with the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism and now part of the PEW Research Centre .
Provides images of the frontpages of over 600 U.S. and international newspapers. Also provides an archive of frontpages for special news events from 2001 to the present.
- Research studies on media ownership
From the Federal Communications Commission several studies on media ownership in the U.S.
- CJR: Who owns what
A quick and easy search tool to find media ownership. Includes Canadian companies as well as U.S.
- Poynter Institute
Information about journalism as well links to resources for journalists. Features the NELSON search tool for journalists which is a selective search engine designed specifically for journalists. NELSON allows keyword searches of 200 current news sources, as well as 174 sites selected by the Poynter Institute for relevancy to specific news beats, journalism related sites (such as organizations, associations, journalism schools).
- News Media Alliance
An organization that represents the newspaper industry. Formerly known as the Newspaper Association of America. Trends and Numbers section provides figures for circulation, audience, research and advertising revenues.
- Nieman Foundation
"To promote and elevate the standards of journalism." See also the NiemanLab on the future of journalism.
- Canadian Journalism Foundation
- Canadian Association of Journalists
- Canadian Committee for World Press Freedom
- Le Conseil de presse du Québec
- Periodical Writers' Association of Canada (PWAC)
- Canadian Journalism Forum on Violence and Trauma
- Editors' Association of Canada
- Federation professionnelle des journalistes du Quebec
- Canadian Journalists for Free Expression
- Canadian Media Guild
- La Fédération nationale des communications–CSN
- Jeff Gaulin's Canadian Journalism Job Board
- National NewsMedia Council
- National Ethnic Press and Media Council of Canada
- International Communication Association
- International Federation of Journalists
- Committee to Protect Journalists
- International Press Institute
- Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
- Reporters without Borders
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- European Journalism Centre