Finding Articles using Databases
Below you'll find list of recommended subject specific and interdisciplinary databases to use when searching for articles. You may also want to use the art periodicals subject heading to browse a comprehensive list of art journal titles that the subscribes to (includes print and electronic).
Core Art & Architecture Databases
- Art Full-text / Art Index Retrospective covers about 500 journals covering all art periods and media. Generally, a good starting point for art-related research for journal articles.
- Avery Index to Architecture (1934 - present) covers architecture, decorative arts.
- Artbibliographies Modern covers 19th century to contemporary art; doesn’t cover architecture. Especially useful for contemporary art and often more extensive coverage of Canadian art.
- BHA: Bibliography of the History of Art and International Bibliography of Art covers all art periods and media and includes publications from 1975 to 2007. Useful for pre-21st century art-related topics.
- JSTOR covers approximately 250 art history and architecture journals as well as numerous scholarly journals from other disciplines. Note: the last 3-5 years of some publications are not available.
- ProQuest Art Databases cross-searches: ARTbibliographies Modern | Design & Applied Arts Index | International Bibliography Art
- ProQuest Combined Canadian: multidisciplinary database covering newspapers, journals, magazines
- CPI-Q: Canadian Periodical Index: multidisciplinary database covering some art journals not covered in ProQuest.
- Erudit : Interdisciplinary full-text of Quebec art and cultural journals and magazines.
- Eureka : Quebec newspapers and magazines.
- Repère:multidisciplinary database covering some Quebec art and architecture journals not included in the art databases.
- America History and Life: covers all aspects of U.S. and Canadian history, culture and current affairs from prehistoric times to the present.
- First Nations Periodical Index: multidisciplinary journals and magazines.
- CCCA Canadian Art Database provides biographies, bibliographies on contemporary artists
- CWAHI Canadian Women Artists History Initiative bibliography covering early women artists born or who worked in Canada.
- Google Scholar
- Academic Search Complete a wide range of magazines and journals
- American Periodicals : magazines and journals published from colonial days to the dawn of the 20th century.
- British Periodicals : provides access to the full text of hundreds of periodicals from the late seventeenth to the early twentieth century including numerous disciplines.
- CAIRN: a collection of French language periodicals in the social sciences and humanities
- Francis: citations and abstracts to international journals, books, conference proceedings, French dissertations and research reports in a wide range of disciplines.
- Gallica : contains numerous electronic texts, images, maps, animation, and sound files of French and other publications in various disciplines.
- Historical Abstracts: citations with abstracts to articles in some 2,000 journals and citations to books and dissertations covering the history of the world since 1450 except for the U.S. and Canada.
- Periodical Archives Online : provides journals dating from 1802 to 2000, with over 1.7 million articles in thirty-seven key subject areas in the arts, humanities and social sciences
- Persée : digitized back volumes of French journals in the Humanities and Social Sciences published in France.
- Project Muse: provides access to the fulltext of more than 200 scholarly journals in the arts and humanities