Cinema subject guide
Film & Cinema Encyclopedias and Indexes
When you are getting started on your topic, explore key figures (directors, actors et cetera) and concepts in specialized encyclopedias.
Primary Sources: Film
- Medial - Feature films, shorts, documentaries and experimental videos acquired by Concordia Library. Log in with your netname and password
- Audio Ciné Films - Over 800 films in English and French, from the studios and producers including: Walt Disney, Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Pixar Animation Studios, Sony, Columbia, Tristar, Screen Gems, Universal Studios Canada (MCA), MGM, United Artists
- Criterion on Demand - Overr 1,300 feature films in English and French. Includes 1920 classics, new releases, foreign films, literary adaptations, documentaries, animated titles, and independent features. Producers include: Paramount, DreamWorks, Mongrel, Sony Pictures Classics, Alliance, Miramax, Warner Brothers, Lionsgate.
- Kanopy Documentaries Collection - Streaming films covering a wide range of disciplines. Due to budgetary limitations, films must be individually requested. Faculty requests for documentaries for teaching and research purposes are generally granted. Note: This resource may not work properly with Chrome. If you experience issues, please try another browser.
- Online video databases - A full list of online video databases that Concordia University Library subscribes to.
- Free online videos - Examples of websites that offer to the general public to online videos in a variety of subjects.
* You may also want to consult the Visual Collections Repository (VCR)
Primary sources: trade magazines & newspapers
- Entertainment Industry Magazine Archive - covers small selelction of film trade journals
- Media History Digital Archive open access tool covering a selection of early cinema magazines
- Gallica - digital library of French and francophone culture
- American newspapers (historical) - New York Times | Wall Street Journal | Washington Post
- Times Digital Archive - covers London Times from 1785 to 1985
- Google News Archive - full text of open access selection of historical newspapers
- Film Reviews - indexes and listings of references to reviews, etc.
Primary sources: Canada / Québec
- CBCA Complete - interdisciplinary Canadian magazines and newspapers
- CPI.Q Canadian Periodical Index - interdisciplinary Canadian magazines
- Erudit - Full-text Quebec journals
- Eureka - Quebec newspapers
- Repere - Quebec magazines (some fulltext)
- Canadian Film & Video/Film et video canadiens - bibliography covering books, articles, etc from early twentieth century
- Globe & Mail Canada's Heritage from 1844 - full-page archive of The Globe from June 1844 to The Globe & Mail until December 2003
- Toronto Star Historical - full page scans covers 1894 - 2013
- Revues et journaux québécois - numerisés par BAnQ
- Film & Television Literature Index - cross-search with Art Full Text & Communication & Mass Media Complete
- Screen Studies Collection (ProQuest) searches FIAF International Index to Film Periodicals, Film Index International
- Performing Arts Periodicals Database - coverage of some film journals.
- JSTOR - interdisciplinary full-text database covering a small selection of film journals.
- MLA International Bibliography - interdisciplinary database including film resources.
- Google Scholar - interdisciplinary coverage, including books, journal articles, and more. NOTE: For optimal access, go to Settings - Library links, then search for "Concordia University Libraries"
Course guides - Fall 2020
FMST 600 - Methods in Film Studies
- FMST 600 - Slides with short instructional videos [videos automatically play in google slide's "present" mode; includes worksheet]
- FMST 202 - Slides with short instructional videos [videos automatically play in google slide's "present" mode]